On the fence between upgrading to 3.73's or 4.10's.

stang1971

Established Member
ok.. just put about 30 miles on the car since picking it up with the new gears.....

take off..... very good now.. car just wants to go!!!!! higher rpm the gears arent as noticable...but 2-6k... oh hell yes. car barks 4th pretty easy now even with dr's on.

anyone looking to put 4.10's in i would deff recommend it... you will love it. wish ford put these in from the factory.

NC STANG GUY

03 gone but not forgotten
Established Member
Whats the 1st gear ratio in the manual trans? If you take it to ford and you buy the gears from the parts department they will install them and you will keep the warrenty!! They are doing mine for $500 labor and $300 for the gears. Yes I can do it myself and do it cheaper but guess what no warrenty!!

$300 for a FRPP gear set? That come with lube? and not talking for the cars rear...

5.0jake

Established Member
ok.. just put about 30 miles on the car since picking it up with the new gears.....

take off..... very good now.. car just wants to go!!!!! higher rpm the gears arent as noticable...but 2-6k... oh hell yes. car barks 4th pretty easy now even with dr's on.

anyone looking to put 4.10's in i would deff recommend it... you will love it. wish ford put these in from the factory.
Sounds like what i'm looking for!

When you say gears aren't as noticeable up top do you mean it feels actually weaker or like the same as before?

MWR

YWSOTD
Established Member
Hey Grn,

Is your car automatic? If so what gears are you getting. I am curious because I just picked up my 11 GT auto and not sure what mods to do.

I will probably see you around Tampa sooner or later..Im kona blue with over the top white stripes :D

Thanks man

Brian

A stalled auto with 3.55's would make a nice combo.

5.0jake

Established Member
On post #26 it says he ran (1/4 Mile: 11.76@ 118.68 ) I would assume that's with the Nitrous. I'm interested in the times before and after the gear swap without nitrous to see the difference the 4.10's made at the track.

Also excited to see vids.

Blown2004Stang

Established Member
I went 12.07 @ 114.68mph, cutting a lazy 1.82 60ft time. I had some wheel hop issues on a set of old Nitto's with short sidewalls. I think the tires caused the hop, because I haven't seen anyone else with issues yet. I'm going to run a taller tire to see if it stops the hop.

Travis

5.0jake

Established Member
I went 12.07 @ 114.68mph, cutting a lazy 1.82 60ft time. I had some wheel hop issues on a set of old Nitto's with short sidewalls. I think the tires caused the hop, because I haven't seen anyone else with issues yet. I'm going to run a taller tire to see if it stops the hop.

Travis

That was without the Nitrous?
Would to see some vids, a clear in cabin would be cool...

Here is a video I found with 4.10's, tune/intake. Not very clear but gives you an idea:
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNj-qmTTaqU"]YouTube - 2011 Mustang 5.0, 4.10 gears, intake, and a tune[/nomedia]

Last edited:

stang1971

Established Member
On post #26 it says he ran (1/4 Mile: 11.76@ 118.68 ) I would assume that's with the Nitrous. I'm interested in the times before and after the gear swap without nitrous to see the difference the 4.10's made at the track.

Also excited to see vids.
the 11.76 was with the 75 shot and slicks on the stock 373's.

i raced sat on the dr's and a 20 mph headwind.. track was cold and couldnt get better then a 1.84 60's. back to back 12.61's. the car ran out of gear close to the finish line. but that was with 285/40/18 dr's. im betting the 28" tall slicks will be just perfect. next race im gonna run the slicks and will report on what rpm i cross the line at.

5.0jake

Established Member
the 11.76 was with the 75 shot and slicks on the stock 373's.

i raced sat on the dr's and a 20 mph headwind.. track was cold and couldnt get better then a 1.84 60's. back to back 12.61's. the car ran out of gear close to the finish line. but that was with 285/40/18 dr's. im betting the 28" tall slicks will be just perfect. next race im gonna run the slicks and will report on what rpm i cross the line at.

After your experience with both gears at the track, do you think a stock GT with 4.10's on base 18 all seasons could run faster times than a GT with 3.73's stock with base 18 all seasons at the track, or would less traction and shifting into 5th be a handicap for the 4.10's?

stang1971

Established Member
After your experience with both gears at the track, do you think a stock GT with 4.10's on base 18 all seasons could run faster times than a GT with 3.73's stock with base 18 all seasons at the track, or would less traction and shifting into 5th be a handicap for the 4.10's?
the 373's would be better if ur not planning to mod the car much. and on the stock 18's...4.10's will just smoke them very easily. on the street they are perfect... a little gas in 2nd gear and the car simply takes off.

5.0jake

Established Member
the 373's would be better if ur not planning to mod the car much. and on the stock 18's...4.10's will just smoke them very easily. on the street they are perfect... a little gas in 2nd gear and the car simply takes off.

I don't plan on modding until my powertrain warranty runs out. If I get a higher paying job I won't care about warranty.

So your saying the 4.10's would be faster on the street than the 3.73's (everything else stock) from a roll or dig but lose at the strip mainly due to traction issues(tires...) ?

Last edited:

stang1971

Established Member
I don't plan on modding until my powertrain warranty runs out. If I get a higher paying job I won't care about warranty.

So your saying the 4.10's would be faster on the street than the 3.73's (everything else stock) from a roll or dig but lose at the strip mainly due to traction issues(tires...) ?
on the street you get to "play around" more. where as on the track you are going a set distance.i shift mine at 7200 each gear and hit 7700 in 4th right as i hit the mph cone. Now i havent tried the slicks yet.. since they are taller it should help me out. They deff give more of a kick in the pants feel. I can spin 3rd pretty easily now and bark 4th too.

1Sick2Valve

Established Member
I put 4:30s in mine. LOVE them car is a blast to drive. Still gets 23 mpg as well..

Users who are viewing this thread