On the subject of helmets..

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
not enough sponsors on my driving gear. i need more.
IMG_0415.jpg

David Hester

Established Member
Greg
Good article. I ended up with a HANS Pro. Haven't used it yet. I do like the shape of the new Sport II. Not as much to get stuck. It took some practice to get out of my car without catching on the rollbar above the window opening. Trick is to push end against your chest before you duck out.
Speaking of the HANS, Downing lost a wheel coming out of the pits at the Daytona 24 in '87.He ended up in the middle of the infield with us between 4 and 6. The prototype he was wearing looked like a Dracula collar. Took him a long time to get out of the car, as it came up about 1/2 way up the back and around the side of his helmet.

Last edited:

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
I'll have some feedback on the Hybrid Pro Rage here soon enough.

Simpson/Safety Solutions custom sized mine for no extra charge. I measured right between a medium and a large at 44" so they custom made the straps for me at 42-46." Out the door with SCCA discount for $610.50 w/ $100 Gift cert. off my next purchase.

Personally, I could care less about the speed at which I can put on a H&N restraint or the number of belts it has. The Hybrid Pro Rage tested out better than either of the other two units and it cost less money. That means Im safer and legal to be on track for less $$$. There is no seat pad or modification required with the hybrid.

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
that pic of me was at the december nasa event. as a rule march is the rain month at road atlanta. when do you go there when it rains?

David Hester

Established Member
LOL Clean living, Greg!
I've got a buddy from Auburn, AL that hasn't been to a single event this year that it hasn't rained at least one day of the weekend.
Rob, you remember it rained test day of the AARC. Mark was there. :poke:

Back on original post. Remember for anyone looking for a new helmet and planning to move to wheel to wheel, NASA and SCCA require head/neck restraints for 2012. Be sure your new helmet has the post holes. Saves some grief having to drill.
I sat in on the SCCA SouthEast Div. TT meeting last month and H&N restraints were mentioned, but no rule change (not required) for 2012, at least.

Last edited:

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
99cobra: RA has its bad points. it wrecks a mess of race cars.

dh: helmets are only predrilled for hans so far as i know. anyone using safety solutions will have to have their lid drilled

David Hester

Established Member
I wondered about that. Simpson says 5.5 inches from center line at back of helmet and 1.5 inches up and HANS says 6 inches from centerline and 1.5 inches up. Interesting. G-Force already has the threaded anchor points for the HANS installed. I wonder if that means can't use Safety Solution unit, as you would need more holes a 1/2 inch closer to centerline. Not sure I would like a bunch of extra holes in my helmet.
http://simpsonraceproducts.com/pdf/Hybrid_Installation_Manual.pdf
http://hansdevice.com/Quick-Start-Guides

Last edited:

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
my bell is pre drilled for hans. it has been configured with new drilling for my hybrid. so...i could use a hans as well if i wanted to.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
that pic of me was at the december nasa event. as a rule march is the rain month at road atlanta. when do you go there when it rains?

With the bikes. Twice. Back in '84 & '85. Don't remember the months, but one of them was cold as well. :(

Users who are viewing this thread