On-Track Fluid Recommendations

Force4.6

Twice Bitten
Established Member
Guys since the search function is down, I was curious about what fluids/lubricants everybody is using for on-track days.

Specifically:

Engine Oil

Engine Coolant

Transmission Fluid

Rear Differential Oil
Friction Modifier

Lumpydogs

Established Member
I'm Not a Track Dawg like some of the guys on here but I do hit the track a few times a year. Here are my fluids:

Coolant = Premixed regular Peak

Motor Oil = Amsoil 5W-30 or Mobil 1 full syn (whichever is on sale)

Tranny = Mobil synthetic ATF (I've heard great things about GM Syncromesh)

Diff = Amsoil Severe Duty 75W-90 (Used Mobil syn without problems too)

Last edited:

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Engine Oil = Mobil 1 5W-30 synthetic

Engine Coolant = distilled water, water wetter and a splash of antifreeze

Transmission Fluid = GM Syncromesh

Rear Differential Oil = Redline Shockproof 75W-90

wheelhopper

Established Member
Engine- whatever name brand 5W30 is on sale at the time and a bottle of Lucas synthetic additive (Blackstone Labs recomended it to me). I also change the oil after every OT event.

Coolant- summer time I use Redline addititive in a 80/20 mix of water and antifreeze. I am going to switch to Engine Ice, it is also an anitfreeze (no more yearly changes).

Trans-Mobil 1 ATF

Diff.-Mobil 1 with a bottle of friction modifier. I will use Royal Purple next, no fm needed.

Last edited:

NJ 03Mach1

Hillclimbers do it better
Established Member
Engine; Good old Ford Dealership oil... I believe it's Mobil anyway..

Coolant; Regular old Antifreeze & Water Wetter..

Trans; 2.5qts of Mobil ATF, 3/4 of a Qt of Lucas Trans oil.

Rear; Royal P

Last edited:

pkwest

Established Member
check with redline about the coolant you use and it's compatibility before using water wetter. There are some brands of coolant that will turn into a goo. You will find balls of it in the expansion tank. I called a long time ago but don't remember the brands he told me not to use. I just remember prestone extended life was OK. I run 1 bottle of watter wetter, 85% distilled watter and 15% prestone extended life.

Mobil 1 5w30 in the crankcase
Mobil 1 synthetic atf in the t56
Royal purple 75w140 in the diff although I have going with 75w90 since I have a diff cooler. With out a diff cooler I would stay with 75w140.

Last edited:

CP86SVO

Established Member
I use:

-Redline 10W40 engine oil
-Redline Water Wetter with distilled water
-Redline D4 ATF
-Redline 75W90 NS

86 SVO with a T5 tranny and 8.8" diff with a Detroit Tru-Trac

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Rick,

Oil-Royal Purple or Moble 1 5w30 (depending on whether Billy worked on it or me)
Coolant-distilled H2O with WaterWetter
Trans and rear-They have fluids in them?!

Prob get just as many choices on brake fluid-ATE blue here. :D

wheelhopper

Established Member
Good point mentioning the brake fluid Greg. I had been using Valvoline Syntec for quite some time, until they quit making it last year. Their new brake fluid is supposed to be just as good (they only make one now). I simply flushed the lines after every event. I never had loss of pressure due to the fluid overheating. Plus the stuff is cheap. Castrol also makes a comparable product, I have used that the past 2 events with success.

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
Mobil 1 5-30 in the engine. Mobil 1 10-40 in the blower. Amsoil ATF in the tranny, and Amsoil in the diff...I forget the name.

I use 50/50 mixed coolant..whatever is in there.....prestone I think..

I use ATE blue/amber, swapping back and forth for better flush indication.

This is going to sound stupid....but I use rain-x washer fluid. It is actually very good, and during rainy sessions I still don't have to use the wipers much if at all.

Force4.6

Twice Bitten
Established Member
Ah forgot about that one, I usually run fresh Motul RBF 600 for track days. Mostly the Ford stuff everywhere else except for the oil which is Amsoil Dominator 5W20.

Rain X??? Wow wish I would have thought of that up in NJ in the rain, I couldn't see very well especially later in the day.

-Rick

David Hester

Established Member
1)1/2 Mobil 10w-30 1/2 Valvoline VR-1 (Phosphates- regular oil doesn't have it anymore-some concern with Cats)
2) WaterWetter 1 bottle- 1/2 gallon antifreeze-just for anti-rust (if you have ever slipped in it you know why it isn't supposed to be on track) the rest water.
3) Valvoline Synthetic ATF
4) Valvoline Synthetic 75W-90- Yes manual says the heavy stuff, but I had trouble with it blowing out- see above. 75W-90 seems to run cooler too.
5) Motorcraft HD or Wilwood 600 for brakes.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Dave,
I went and grabbed a bottle of my water wetter, and, as I remembered, it says it reduces rust and corrosion. Do you use the antifreeze as well because it does a better job?

dragon40k

Established Member
So you guys are saying I should change out my factory coolant my factory transmission fluid and my factory differential fluid? I'm not even at 10k miles yet and even though i'd like to think I drive it hard i'm sure compared to some it gets babied.

Force4.6

Twice Bitten
Established Member
If you take it to open track events I would say yes. I haven't been doing this very long but I have changed the coolant ever year I have been going to these events. Brake fluid and engine oil get changed more often.

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
Depending on your year of car...5W30 or 10W30 synthetic
75% distilled water, 25% coolant, 1 bottle Waterwetter
Factory tranny fluid
Factory diff fluid - 80w90 petroleum based for SN95's and only friction modifier if you have a limited slip (clutch) differential.

David Hester

Established Member
Greg
It SAYS rust inhibitor/ lubricant, but I always find some brown when I go to add water (yeah, all distilled would help I guess, but I don't), so I put in 1/2 gallon of antifreeze when I flush. This is for the A/Sedan car.
You know
If it's yellow let it mellow
if it's brown flush it down.

oh, wait.
that may be something else. :nono:

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
I'll have to try that. I've always got some A/F in the garage, and unlike you racer guys, I'm out there with cars running 50/50 anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread