On3 crap MAF issues

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
Just wanna let all the On3 guys know you may need a MAF screen. I put one in today and on the logs the maf looks much happier! So if you have done chugging or bucking with the On3 kit just throw in a screen or "straightener". Ordered one on eBay, pulled the screen out and put in the On3 pipe.
52ecc6532a0c6da71b6606b2cc977662.jpg
dc345ba290a30c64f8fd235b9d8f5715.jpg
5ae26643cb81522b6e2efa2907cf5855.jpg

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
I paid $90 for the whole housing. I was gonna use the housing but when it showed up today I realized it wasn't one piece and simply put together with rivets. Had I know. That I would have looks for just the screen. You live and you learn. If you can get one that is like 1" thick or thicker. It will be more efficient.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
my car bucks or surges a bit but only when its cold. Once warmed up it goes away.

How does the car drive now after the straightener is installe?

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
Can't drive the damn thing yet, we got blasted with snow the other day. Car does not come out in bad conditions. The idle and slow revs are way better. Still have tuning to do though. I will report back asap.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
yup just like the paxton. Wish i would have known the thickness of this screen. Id prefer to have at least a 1" this screen but its working so far. later on if i can find a screen from a paxton kit il swap it out.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
Ok ladies and gents here are the results. 1000RWHP just from adding the screen!!! i know right? j/k

I have not done any WOT pulls and I have switched tuners. The first drive out of the drive way with the 1st tune sent the car acted way better. Im not saying the tuner was better but the car didn't chug at all and the maf was happier. SO with that said if your On3 car runs great but sometimes does goofy stuff like chug a little or have a funky idle surge or what not. Throw a screen in the tube just before the maf and your computer will thank you later.

Disclaimer: No I will not talk about my tuners so do not even ask because that shit turns into a tuner vs. tuner thread. I have no issues with the last tuner either.

JTS_7

Established Member
Honestly that thing looks sketchy. Would suck if somehow came apart or unfixed during a WOT pull. I worry about vibrations and the amount of air being pushed breaking those little tabs on the rivets over time. Just my opinion though.

I will also add this information. Some tuners have the WOT parameters triggering too early (percentage of pedal) and too rich ( jumping into WOT fueling). Which will cause a surge/buck feeling when accelerating, say on a highway to pass a car or leaving from a stop if the pedal is pushed too far.

FWIW my on3 car ran perfect, even on e85.

Last edited:

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
I see your concern but the pics don't do justice. That sucker is riveted in pretty good. As you know rivets dont back out so the screen won't be able to wobble around and come apart. Think about the nuts on some of those nitrous nozzle kits that go into stock intake tubes... Now that's sketchy to me.

The before and after for the maf was night and day so Iv ruled out tuner differences but I can see what you are saying. My "issues" we're low throttle. I'm very picky with the tuning though. We all know every car is different even with exact setups. Mine just didn't like turbulent airflow.

Last edited:

SHIFTYBUSINESS

Established Member
I had the same type of issue with my tvs. I was told by the tuner to put this foam piece where the air comes in from the grille before the filter box (JLT 123). I was having slight surging when I was causing and about 50% of the time when I would kick it in neutral (mt82) it would stall. It was turbulent air, that foam piece fixed the problem.

SHIFTYBUSINESS

Established Member
Wish the foam would work for the on3 kit but it won't. Crazy how air flow can really mess with how a car runs.

I know isn't it, my issues completely went away without anything else done. It's also strange how one car with the same setup will have the problem and the other won't. Just goes to show you that running a base tune is just so you can get it up and running for a data log and a custom tune. Some guys run a canned tune for months and run it hard, not a good idea in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread