On3 Install

lphooper03

Established Member
I'm about to start my install on Saturday. I'm setting aside two weekends for this with a friends help. I'll leave the car there and work on it the subsequent weekends if necessary, but hey, ya gotta have goals.

Couple questions for the experienced:
AC Line: Simple to re-route or no? Got any pics? I'm going to have to take mine to a shop before the install to evacuate the system.
Header Bolts: Do you recommend using the ones on the car (with locktite) or should I purchase something different?
Wastegate/BOV: I know they didn't include vacuum lines, but what size is recommended? Do I need to drill/tap anywhere to run the vacuum lines properly?

I can work on a car with confidence that I won't F something up, but I know this is a big job and I just need a little more confidence going into this. Reading posts about how much of a PITA it is to route o2 sensors and CPU wires among the other dozen issues I've read about isn't giving me the warm and fuzzies, but I'm not a quitter.

If you're experienced in this and can provide any solutions for some of the common problems, it would be much appreciated. I'm going to try my best to take as many pictures of the install as I can and write up an explanation to hopefully provide a better how-to than the instructions that I received in the kit. I won't make any promises, but I will try my best.

Also, if anybody has any requests for pictures during the installation, I'd appreciate it as that will help me write the how-to. I will be documenting tools used, sizes of bolts and extension lengths, etc.

MRSUPRA

Established Member
You might want to set aside more than 2 weekends. What year is your car?

lphooper03

Established Member
It's a 2013 GT. There will be two of us working on it so hopefully it goes faster than I imagine. I bet with two of us working 10-10 both days we should be able to get it done in two weekends...Shit I hope.

WIPLASH1

Established Member
The AC line is relatively simple.
I believe others have had success with almost all of the factory header studs/nuts.
Not sure what to say on the vacuum lines, almost everyone does it differently. Plan on a trip to the auto store.
Do you have F150 O2 sensors? The drivers side will be fine, I used the Raptor O2 on the passenger side.

So you're contemplating 4 10hr days for 2 guys? Shouldn't be a problem, but you'll need to pay attention to productivity. If one or the other is standing around most of the time you're screwed. I'd highly suggest dividing and concurring.

Once it's on jackstands get that front cover off, get a guy mounting the intercooler, and the other guy can unbolt exhaust, remove headers, and start bolting up the new headers. The intercooler guy can move onto mounting the PCM, routing of the battery cables, etc.

Do what you can to get a comprehensive list of what you'll need to finish before you walk away from it on Sunday, that way you can get parts during the week.

How about the tune and fuel upgrades?

Last edited:

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Biggest time consumers for me were re routing the fuse box and associated wiring, tapping oil pan (need to take your time on this), and lining up hot parts so exhaust leaks go away.

Header install is easy as is the cold side piping and intercooler.

Users who are viewing this thread