One more 360 RROD

eclipsemustang

Established Member
Well I have had my 360 for 4 years now and I just got the RROD. Mine is a single flashing red light I get both errors 71 and 79. from what I have searched these are less common problems. I have done all the things the microsoft said to try. Are their any other tricks people have tried and fixed these or do I just need to send it in/buy a new one? Thanks

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
If it is rrod they fix it for free iirc. Mine got some weird errors a few years back I would have sound but no picture so I did the towel trick and it worked for another few weeks I finally just bought a new one and havnt had problems with it yet.

Raven519

Established Member
If it is rrod they fix it for free iirc. Mine got some weird errors a few years back I would have sound but no picture so I did the towel trick and it worked for another few weeks I finally just bought a new one and havnt had problems with it yet.

The RRoD is only covered for 3 years from date of purchase.

I"m not really familiar anymore with the error codes, so I can't really comment on the one blinking red light.

eclipsemustang

Established Member
Microsoft's website said the single light represents some type of hardware failure. From searching around the internet I see a large assortment of tricks people say works for them but I've had no success with any of them so far.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
look to see if theres anywhere in your area that will fix them.

my buddy bought a 360 on craigslist that was supposed to be a newer one (that wont rrod) but ended up being an older one, and sure enough it rrod. He found some place off craigslist that charged $50 to fix it and guaranteed it for 1yr or something. Since he doesnt go on live with that box, he also had them mod it so he can play burnt games while they were at it.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
btw which version 360 is this? a launch if you had it for 4 years it sounds. Still pretty damn good, most people cant even get PC's to last that long.

Last edited:

32ValveRom

Don't mess with Teksids
Established Member
I did the towel trick and it worked for me for a few months. I later sent it to Microsoft (after having it for three years) and they fixed it free

ncarter124

Established Member
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiXwA9T26W4"]YouTube - Repairing The Red Ring of Death XBox 360[/nomedia]

This is a good repair video. This guy is also an auto mechanic and has a great channel, I'd recommend subscribing to him, but this will give you a good idea regarding what you need to do.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
im on my 3rd rrod. console is in a box in the closet. enough was enough.

find someone to fix it and sell it :shrug:

my elite is sitting here with a bum dvd drive. Contemplating just letting it go for like $50-75 as is, or spending the $45 to have a local shop put in a new drive and mate it to the motherboard, and sell it for $150ish. Or keep it and buy a wireless adapter and just use it as a media hub in the bedroom.

eclipsemustang

Established Member
Ya I have the launch, I will have to check out craigslist and I will look at that guys youtube channel, although I have heard that if you try and do any work on your 360, Microsoft wont fix it.

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
find someone to fix it and sell it :shrug:

my elite is sitting here with a bum dvd drive. Contemplating just letting it go for like $50-75 as is, or spending the $45 to have a local shop put in a new drive and mate it to the motherboard, and sell it for $150ish. Or keep it and buy a wireless adapter and just use it as a media hub in the bedroom.

i had a local guy look at it. its really fried this time. 2nd time it was fixed, guy bypassed something-er-nother...i dont know.....but 3rd time fried it good. local guy said i would dave money buying a new one. then my nephew came along and wanted to sell his 60gb ps3, 8 games. 2 controllers, HDMI cable for 150. so, i got that instead.

Users who are viewing this thread