One more clutch question please..

SNKBITE

Established Member
Started smelling the stock clutch after every 1/4 mile pass.
It is time to go to an aftermarket brand.
Anyone care to give me some input on what is the best.
I drive the car on the street maybe 50 miles a month, but go to the track at least once a week.
Thank you in advance for your input.

predator

Established Member
Any previous thread on this subject has led to a vast collection of different experiences and opinions. I'll start by saying that when I am ready to change my clutch it will probably be CF....just because they are a good clutch that fits well within the price range and power band I am running. :thumbsup:

SNKBITE

Established Member
Is it not a requirement that you change flywheels when using the
Center Force?
Sorry I did not make Richmond. Work and a devastating storm prohibited my being there.

predator

Established Member
Different people will give you different info on whether you need to change the flywheel too.......on any new clutch. I am going to do the entire kit only because I am not a big fan of trying to resurface the insert on the stock. Lots of opinions here too. It may be ok to do, but I like to change the whole assembly out when doing another brand. Just my preference.

I was wondering if you made it. I figured not since I didn't hear from you. Not to worry......my car was still up on jackstands until yesterday. First time the front wheels have been on the car in three months. I would have spectated but had no transportation. Sold my Bronco and van.......looking for my tow vehicle now. :rockon:

TRBO VNM

is the clutch slipping? If so, fine it is time to change it...but if it isn't, don't waste your money on a new clutch. if you slip it when you take off, then you will smell it some...depending on how much you are riding it out of the hole. That is normal.

you don't "need" a flywheel when going to a different clutch unless you have had the factory turned/cut too many times and it is thin..just like a brake rotor.

although when you change the clutch you should change the tranny input shaft to 26 spline and do the apten cooling mod. I think there are other cooling mods available, but do one of them while the tranny is out. After all that if you have funds available, why not change the flywheel.

SNKBITE

Established Member
Thanks for the replies.

Predator- I really wanted to go. Hell my tuner ( Troyer Performance) was there and expecting me so we could do the final data-logging and tweeking on my SCT 9100 tuner. Guess I will have to make another trip down to see him in Millboro Va. real soon now.
I tow mine to the track on a 16 foot trailer with my 2001 Supercrew. It handles the task real nice. Might want to look at one.

WUTWINE- I am starting to notice a little slippage, that is why I adjusted it out with the firewall adjuster I have on the car. I can smell it now and never could before, so to be safe I think it is time.
I have been launching the car between 3500-4000 rpm the last couple of times I had it to the track, and am not really slipping it as much when I launch as I used to. I am just coming off the clutch and letting it fly. It has resulted in some 1.63 to 1.67 60 foot times on E/T Streets so I will more than likely continue to launch it this way. I shift at 6200 using a Raptor shift light.
The car runs consistent 11.60's.
I will more than likely drive over to Summit Racing and pick up a new Centerforce CTF-DF 700000 this week.

predator

Established Member
Something like a Supercrew is exactly what I had in mind. Just have to find something suitable. Still need a trailer too! :-D

I have some part numbers on a CF assembly I will pass on after I dig them out. Are you 26 spline now?

TargeT

Established Member
its worth replacing the input shaft with a 26spline, and not all that expensive, espeicaly if you plan on making some big numbers

I haven't heard a good thing about clutches yet, mines starting to be iffy, i'm thinking i'll just replace it with another stock one,

Users who are viewing this thread