One of my SS inserts is coming off....?

Blakers01GT

Established Member
So I'm walking back to my car yesterday, something looked funny at the bottom of my "R" on my SS Cobra Inserts. Well at the bottom, it detatched itself from the paint. What do I do now? it's nots severe but there is no stick left so trying to stick it back on won't do it. Could I have SS inserts send me a replacement "R"? I followed the directions exactly when I orginally installed them a couple months ago. Would it be safe to rip that "R" off and replace it?Has this happened to anyone that could give me some advice?

Blake'

fatcobra

Established Member
the first time I installed mine, they ended up doing the same, So I ordered more tape, cleaned the leters with alcohol, applied the tape, and then let them sit under very heavy books (old dictionarys) for 24 hours, then went out and washed the car dryed it, then cleaned the area where the letters were going on with alcohol as well, put the letters on and haven't had any trouble since (almost a year now) I was able to just pull mine off when they started pealing, but you might need to use fishing line or something like that to get inbetween the letters and car.

pj_rage

Mustang Enthusiast
Established Member
My "O" is crooked from whoever put them on when I first bought it. I wish mine were coming off so I could fix it! Anyone have an idea on how to adjust it? I'm very nervous about the paint coming off/peeling/chipping with the tape if I just pull or heat and pull...

I have used 3M molding tape (I think that is the name) to attach these types of things to my old GT, and it seemed to work very well, as none of the items (including SS letters) came off in the two years that I had the car. Although this stuff would work, it might still be better to order replacement letter(s) from where you bought them, so the tape thickness is the same? Maybe it is just me, but I'm anal about that type of thing and it would bug me if one was sticking out further due to thicker tape, or vice versa. (This is why, even though no one can notice, my slightly crooked "O" from previous owner irks me soo much!)

Users who are viewing this thread