one WG gets HOT but the other WG not so much????

BigmotoXer

Established Member
2011 GT, Hellion TT, ...Driver-side WG gets hot as soon as car is started, BUT the passenger-side WG takes a little while to warm up(hasn't even fully changed color like the DS, still silver'ish). And then when it gets hot it's half as hot as DS= as in I can still touch it for 2 seconds....the drivers-side WG though will burn your skin off(has changed color long ago to a nice golden brown). A co-worker is bringing in his thermal gun tomorrow so I'll see the temps at least and I'll post it so's you'll see the major difference.
Anyway could this be one of the BOV causing this?

BigmotoXer

Established Member
WG are Turbosmart Comp-Gate 40....I just read them with the Thermal heat tracer/gun and the top of the ds WG is 260° and the top of the ps WG is 184°

BigmotoXer

Established Member
How long has this been going on?
What brand is the waste gate?
Does the car seem to drive normal?

I just got up and running week or two now.
I guess it drives normal I've never owned a TT, all my years I've been a proud n/A guy but you guys changed me lol.

SGcoyote

Established Member
I just got up and running week or two now.
I guess it drives normal I've never owned a TT, all my years I've been a proud n/A guy but you guys changed me lol.

Seems as if the Waste gate might be stuck open... I would take it off and investigate. possibly pull it off and use a air compressor at a low PSI to see if the gate opens with less pressure then the spring that's in the WG, It could be as simple as a worn spring.

Last edited:

BigmotoXer

Established Member
Seems as if the Waste gate might be stuck open... I would take it off and investigate. possibly pull it off and use a air compressor at a low PSI to see if the gate opens with less pressure then the spring that's in the WG, It could be as simple as a worn spring.

Both WG and springs are new but I just disassembled both WG's. Both springs look and feel good(7psi), I've blown in bottom port(with just my mouth and a vacuum tube and everything moves freely as it should. Top ports are clear. These WG are 100%.
Is the problem the 184 degree WG or the 260 degree WG?..Cause that 260* WG gets freaking hot ma'aaan...but this is my first turbo what do I know

BigmotoXer

Established Member
There's some crazy stuff going on here. Listen to this, the DS 1-1/4" header-pipe(right at the base of the WG) is 180* F at idle(this is the one that is 260* after being driven= 76* hotter than the ps).... but the ps 1-1/4" header-pipe is only 98* F at idle(this is the one that is 184* after being driven= 76* colder than the ds). So it seems ,at idle anyway, that the ps 1-1/4" header/WG pipe is getting no hotter than body temperature at idle. But the ds is pretty dang hot at idle What THE HELL?

BigmotoXer

Established Member
How are the vaccum lines routed

I'm going straight from turbo to WG/turbo to WG with vacuum/boost (no controller), I was about to install my eboost street controller today BUT i need to find out what's going on here with the basics.

BigmotoXer

Established Member
Blowing into the port is not a good way to check to see if the waste gate is ok. Need to actually use a gauge.

It's clear at this point that it is not the WG causing one WG to get hotter than the other. It is obvious that the PS 1-1/4" header/WG pipe is only getting 98*F at idle and the DS is getting 180*F at idle, therefor prior to the WG. Not the WG.
Now, how in the hell can one WG/header pipe not get hot? Car is running smooth, no miss. I didn't see the pipe blocked or obstructed by anything at install. This is making no sense

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
If exhaust is allowed to flow through the wg the pipe will be hotter. I think the hotter waste gate is opening when it shouldn't. Exhaust pressure can force it to open if the spring is bad. Or maybe you have the boost/vacuum sources backwards and the vacuum is forcing the wg to open slightly. Just some ideas

BigmotoXer

Established Member
If exhaust is allowed to flow through the wg the pipe will be hotter. I think the hotter waste gate is opening when it shouldn't. Exhaust pressure can force it to open if the spring is bad. Or maybe you have the boost/vacuum sources backwards and the vacuum is forcing the wg to open slightly. Just some ideas

Springs and WG are new, but tomorrow I will open them both and swap the ps with the ds and see if the problem swaps to the other side.

BigmotoXer

Established Member
...also I have to compressor side of turbo feeding directly to bottom ports on WG, leaving the top to vent. I'm doing this just for now(before installing eboost street controller) until I pinpoint something.

Users who are viewing this thread