Online Courses

Cobra#2885

Established Member
Is anyone here taking any College Online Course? I have been thinking about it but am not sure if I would be disciplined enough to keep up with the homework ect... I am interested in getting a 2 year Degree in Criminal Justice. Any Advice?

Thanks

Zig'sbird

Established Member
Lately, I've taken at least on online course a semester. I love it since I work nights and am able to surf the net on the clock.

But, my degree is a computer tech degree so personally I do not need the interaction with either the professor or other students (Read: loner/loser/geek ;-) ). Some people need the interaction to pass a class.

Also, it does take a lot of discipline to take these classes, but I have also found that it's better to take 100 and 200 level classes online simply because the are less demanding.

Advice: Go for it but start out with only taking one or two classes and see how you like it.

Good luck

SonterraSVT

10thAnniversary SVT Cobra
Established Member
If you are looking to have a carreer in Law Enforcement, the more education you have the better and in many cases the more money you recieve.

What Zig'sbird advises is the best advise anyone can give!

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Sonterra's advise is sound. Most local departments are looking for at least 60 college credits. Most state departments are looking for 4 year degrees. Almost all the Federal Law Enforcement Agencies are looking for at least a 4 year degree if not an advanced degree. My agency is currently only interviewing those with 4 year degrees and critically skilled and those with advanced degrees in certain fields.

Be very careful on "Online Degree Mills." You need to make sure the school is accredited and actually allowed to confer the degree they offer. A simple way to check this is to call the Federal Commission of Higher Education accreditation dept. Also a key thing to ask is if they qualify for Federal Guaranteed Student Loans, this will help to ferret out some of the schools that are bogus.

Good Luck

californiaZ

Established Member
Law Online

My wife is currently a full time online student. She is working on her paralegal certificate now and plans on getting her Law degree. She is studying at Los Angeles Mission College currently and she seems to like it. Be warned, thier financial aid office is really slow to process aid claims.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
California is the only state in the country where lawyers can attend correspondence schools, but thank god they cant practice anywhere else except California.

Pretty scary.

Users who are viewing this thread