Online Degree?

supachargd2k5

Established Member
I've seen some threads about what people majored in and what they do for a living but i would like to see if any of you guy recieved your degree thorugh on online institution. If there is anyone, how was your expirience?

RGrossman

Established Member
I'm doing this right now. It depends upon what your majoring in. Certain fields know certain schools are where you should go. For me, companies don't care where you got it.

jzepp

Established Member
I have wondered about these online degrees. Will an employer really hire you knowing that you got a degree online?

Fuerza

Established Member
I'm finishing my degree online. I'm getting BS from Columbia College in MO. I currently live in SA TX. I have an AA degree from Columbia College and I'm getting my BS degree in Criminal Justice. My diploma for my AA and BS wont be any different from other campus graduates. The only difference is I'm able to work and not chained to a class room. :banana:

For me it is a win. :beer:

speedofsound

Centrifuged
Established Member
received my BS at VT in aerospace engineering (traditional classroom stuff), and am now taking online classes at USC to get my MS in astronautics.

RGrossman

Established Member
thats the point that why i wouldnt hire someone with an online degree

Kinda hard to hire someone to take the exams and finals dont ya think? Almost everyone course I have taken so far has you come in for exams. And online courses have twice the homework to make up for time not in classroom setting. Don't bash it unless you tried it.

kit5pt0

Established Member
I'm finishing my degree online. I'm getting BS from Columbia College in MO. I currently live in SA TX. I have an AA degree from Columbia College and I'm getting my BS degree in Criminal Justice. My diploma for my AA and BS wont be any different from other campus graduates. The only difference is I'm able to work and not chained to a class room. :banana:

For me it is a win. :beer:

what made you choose columbia mo? i just ask because i see them advertising it, but wouldn't all major colleges offer online degrees now?

SNCBOOM

Established Member
Kinda hard to hire someone to take the exams and finals dont ya think? Almost everyone course I have taken so far has you come in for exams. And online courses have twice the homework to make up for time not in classroom setting. Don't bash it unless you tried it.

Obviously english was never your forte. So what exactly do you mean by your post?

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member

Yea but on his diploma it doesn't say anything about being online. Just says he graduated from UWM. Most people I know that go to state or whatever colleges have lots of work they do online. I do agree though, that he did get handled like a bitch in class cause he didn't know anything. Who really goes to college to learn anything anyways pshhhhh.

Last edited:

Fuerza

Established Member
what made you choose columbia mo? i just ask because i see them advertising it, but wouldn't all major colleges offer online degrees now?

Honestly it was purely location at the time. I was attending college at one of their satellite campus. In MO I know Drury and Columbia offer online undergraduate degrees, Webster University in STL offers online Masters degrees. A buddy of mine is getting his Masters through Webster, he already received his BS from Columbia, all of it online, except for a few classes at the very beginning for him.

Fuerza

Established Member

You'd never know if someone had an online degree. For my college there is no difference between the two. My transcripts even look identical to regular transcripts.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
I'm attending American Military University 100% online.
Would I recommend an online college? Depends. It takes self discipline since you are responsible for yourself. Also depends on the field you want to get into. In my current job field I won't get the skills I use with a degree, its just a 'check in the box.'

supachargd2k5

Established Member
Yeah i have heard go things about taking classes online. I was looking at University of Phoenix online and they seem like a good reputable school.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
It depends on the Online Program. It must be fully accredited by the appropriate govt dept. Also, if the program is not associated with a REAL university, it is probably not going to be well received. Phoenix, Capella, etc. are not well received and often people holding those degrees are excluded by large companies and especially the Federal government. The best online programs are the ones where you go to the actual campus for orientation week, meet with the professors, get assignments and books and complete everything on your own and submit online and attend online classes. Then you return at the end of the semester to take the exams.

But then again, places that run those quality of programs also give you an actual degree not an online degree, as you meet the basic requirements by attending at the beginning and the end. It was sort of like Biology 101 at Rutgers. Over 500 students, no one took attendance and you took the final.

type911

Heave To....
Established Member
How about us Military Folk. Online Degree programs are often our only recourse. I am away too often to attend a traditional Univ. So I will be doing it online.

Users who are viewing this thread