Open Carrying: Opinions

00BlackGT

Established Member
my .02 cents is it really makes no sense at all. I am 25 and carry everywhere but only concealed. The reason being is, I feel it makes zero sense, mainly because if you are carrying to protect yourself, which in my opinion is the no.1 reason to carry.

I feel that if you were ever in a location and the need arises, if you are exposed and someone comes in to place harm and they see you and your weapon, i think they would come after you first.

What got me thinking about this is all the videos on youtube that have people expressing these rights, and it seems to me that they are looking for confrontation with law enforcement.

anyways, my .02

4a7191a

Established Member
I think conceal carry for a number of years responsibly and without incidents and a clean record then open carry should be an option. Im for it just its so easy to get a conceal carry these days, make it a bit tougher and its a win/win for me :)

oster910

Turboman
Established Member
I noticed that people challenge the law when open carrying
Sucks but it makes things harder for people to get guns and creates a negative buzz
I do support open and concealed carry

Blown 89

Established Member
I don't like it for a number of reasons. 1) it puts you at a tactical disadvantage. 2) it makes non gun people nervous. 3) for right or wrong it hurts our case in the eyes of gun control morons. 4) it makes you a target for discrimination as well as a target tactically. 5) its presence escalates situations

Last edited:

Dragu1a

Established Member
i have a holster to open carry, but never do - for reasons already stated by others. my conceal permit expired years ago...so i guess no carrying for this guy. :rolleyes:

HEMIHUNTER

Established Member
I don't like it for a number of reasons. 1) it puts you at a tactical disadvantage. 2) it makes non gun people nervous. 3) for right or wrong it hurts our case in the eyes of gun control morons. 4) it makes you a target for discrimination as well as a target tactically. 5) its presence escalates situations

I agree with most of what you said but support the right of those who do. I think in rural areas it's not so much a problem. When I lived in AZ[ Tucson] seeing someone OC was not an event. Now a lot of people do it just because they can.
But it does make a lot of people nervous.
IMHO the only person that needs to know I'm carrying is me.

Last edited:

astrodudepsu

1of72 Hater
Established Member
1. That's debatable. I open carry when hiking/fishing/camping, because tactically there is no way you can convince me that it's somehow faster to draw from concealment versus a nice OWB holster.

2. Also debatable. Highly depends on location. It also is none of their business.

3. Gun Control morons don't need an excuse to rail against guns. Giving into them and not OC means they are winning. Don't let them win.

4. In a very busy area, maybe. But again, unless you are OC'ing a deagle on a chest rig, a compact sized gun on an OWB holster doesn't actually stand out that much. Plus people are really unobservant in general. Most people wouldn't even notice, unless your at a dwarf convention or something.

5. Also debatable. I'd argue the opposite. Seeing a gun tends to de-escalate situations where the bad guy hasn't 100% completely made up his mind to do harm. And if he HAS 100% committed to doing harm, nothing will make a difference.

MDShelby

Established Member
Premium Member
I want them to know I have a gun after the shooting stops. Open carry in public places is just asking for trouble.

oneslo5.0

Established Member
I think it makes you look like a douche.

I carry, IWB under a hoodie. Nobody is the wiser, everyone is calm....unless shit gets going but at that I am just using it to back out, not dig in and make it look like the wild west.

Letting everyone know isn't smart either, it adds an edge to everyone. Like I said, I carry everyday and go on about my life but with out fail you see that one guy with a glock in his "one size" fits all holster with snaps and belts all over, you know all the good stuff. I would love to walk up next to these guys and just pull there gun out to prove a point....but I just laugh. They are also the same people that stare you up and down like I should be worried about looking at them.

Last edited:

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
I support carry in any form. Open carry is legal in MS with no permit requirements per the state constitution. Concealed carry requires permit. I am a permit holder but I do oc fairly regularly. Nothing worse than trying to stay concealed in 95° weather with 80% humidity. Shorts and t shirts. Not going to change my dress to make other people comfortable.

If a business owner asks me to cover or leave I comply with no problems (this has never happened). I've also yet to have a negative leo encounter.

Btw, I use level II retention holsters for any oc situation.

Last edited:

10thAnnvCobra

Member MACA
Established Member
I support the right to open carry, but I rarely do so. I always carry concealed. In my opinion open carrying draws unnecessary attention.

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
OC = Look at me. Why invite trouble?
I CC everywhere I go...and I don't want anyone to know.

And the public perception of oc has been changed in the past 100 years. The whole reason for permits for cc was because only criminals and the like concealed back then. OC was normal and accepted.

venom_inc

Killing time at work.
Established Member
my .02 cents is it really makes no sense at all. I am 25 and carry everywhere but only concealed. The reason being is, I feel it makes zero sense, mainly because if you are carrying to protect yourself, which in my opinion is the no.1 reason to carry.

I feel that if you were ever in a location and the need arises, if you are exposed and someone comes in to place harm and they see you and your weapon, i think they would come after you first.

What got me thinking about this is all the videos on youtube that have people expressing these rights, and it seems to me that they are looking for confrontation with law enforcement.

anyways, my .02

Wouldn't it be 2 cents? .02 cents mean 2 hundredths of a cent.

Sick03Vert

Banned
I think it makes you look like a douche.

I carry, IWB under a hoodie. Nobody is the wiser, everyone is calm....unless shit gets going but at that I am just using it to back out, not dig in and make it look like the wild west.

Letting everyone know isn't smart either, it adds an edge to everyone. Like I said, I carry everyday and go on about my life but with out fail you see that one guy with a glock in his "one size" fits all holster with snaps and belts all over, you know all the good stuff. I would love to walk up next to these guys and just pull there gun out to prove a point....but I just laugh. They are also the same people that stare you up and down like I should be worried about looking at them.

Respect for this guy +65000.

I am completely against open carry. And I'm sick of idiots open-carrying in places that they "legally" can but shouldn't just to waste law enforcement officers' time because they get called out to the scene by people who aren't used to seeing that kind of thing.

This state is the WORST for this shit. Everyone's packing, everyone in their own mind is Jesse ****ing James and isn't to be ****ed with because they are the fastest in the West, and 95% of these pro-gun ****tards couldn't hit the broad side of a damn barn.

Jesus Christ, I need to move out of here. :fm:

Sick03Vert

Banned
That pesky Constitution must really frighten these people, huh?

AND I'm sick of this shit too.

The Constitution gives us the "Right to Bear Arms". What people who actually study history will tell you is it MEANT you have the right to harbor armed soldiers in a time of war. It was backwards redneck retards that looked at that and said, "Well gull dayum Sam, we can paks us some of dat der Smit n Wessun!"

99% of people that quote the Constitution have no idea the original intent of the laws it contains.

So yeah, that pesky Constitution really does frighten people....because you never know how someone, like yourself, is going to twist the next Amendment to fit their own personal agenda. :cuss:

And I'm pissed today.

Last edited:

mavisky

Established Member
I'm fine with it being an option, just not one that I'll ever partake in outside of a gun range.

Hypothetical scenario: Armed robber comes into bank lobby, you and security guard are both open carrying. Gunman orders you two into a corner and asks you to drop your pants along with your guns and step away.

In a concealed situation, the same may happen the guard, but chances are I'm just another person trying to deposit a paycheck and there may be a moment when the perp's attention isn't solely on me.

I can't reasonably fathom a situation in which the perp walks in and sees me open carrying and immediately decides to turn and run. I could see one where he comes in I become an immediate threat and he may open fire before I even realize he's there.

Users who are viewing this thread