Opened up the tranny and found this!

dezracer

NOTHING! Couple of days ago I heard loud squeeling sound coming from shifter area at high RPMs. Next day shifter locks up and wont go into any gear. Shut it down , restarted a couple of times and finally get it in gear and it drives normal. Next morning when I let the clutch out after starting I hear a thunck but the car goes into gear.:shrug:

Im thinking TOB so I have new one plus pilot bearing and retainer sleeve overnighted from Lethal Peformance. Have a shop drop tranny and inspect all components. All looks normal including inside of tranny, clutch,pressure plate,etc..The TOB has very slight wobble but seems to be intact and working OK. No horrific failures though.:??:

So now what? Do I have the new parts installed and hope for the best:??: The kicker is Im now in for 7 hours labor and I am traveling out of state:fm:

Any thoguhts?

boosted2000si

All good things end!
Established Member
Seriously are you at a transmission shop mentioning these problems, had them look at the internal parts and they are saying all looks well? Then better warranty their word and work and not charge you again if it happens anymore.

Have them put the new parts you have in and go on your way.

When mine did that same stuff the car was

1. The syncros were completely trashed and some of the gears were chewed up. I had to get a new transmission, warrantied out from Ford.

2. Fluid didnt get in all the gears when I swapped out the fluid. A few times and the fluid got worked in never had an issue again.

dezracer

Well bad news for me. Shop called and we went for test ride, 5 miles later tranny locks , wont go into gear and is making funny noises.

In defense of the shop they replaced the parts I told them to replace on my hunch of knowing these cars and possible failures. They told me from get go that if it was the trannny they are not capable of Diagnosing/rebuilding a T56.

Anyway, it appears I have a bad bearing , syncros or both. Only 13k easy miles on this car. This car has been a well kept garage queeen ,show winner all its life .

Car is back in shop to have tranny dropped and sent to nearest reputable transmission shop which is couple hudred miles from where Im at. Wifes gonna have to come get me. Only good part is I have a place in the town it broke down in and the shop is 2 blocks away. There going to put the car in my garage until tranny is returned. At least I dont have to wory about car sitting outside or getting damaged.

Last edited by a moderator:

XyX

Still in the game.
Established Member
13k miles and the tranny went out? Cant say i've ever heard of a t56 going out when it was driven "easily"

boosted2000si

All good things end!
Established Member
So they told you they dont know anything about the T56 and you still tossed them the keys to the car and told them get started?

bigdog93lx

Gallons per mile
Established Member
What kind of a tranny shop can't tell you if the synchros are gone or not. Go somewhere else, its not like the t-56 is a state of the art transmission. It is a basic heavy-duty 6-speed. The guy that i have work on my car looked at the online maual for a half an hour and replaced by 3rd gear synchro, shift fork pads (bronze) and got the billet inserts. I thought my tranny was all f-ed up too but my pilot bearing spilled its guts instead.

Digital

Established Member
lol wait a second.. you took the car to a tranny shop and once they had the thing a part they let you know they dont work on t56s? rofl.. ask them for your keys to get something out of your trunk and drive away now while you can.

dezracer

Easy guys. I did not say it was a transmission shop. This a very small town in Utah where the car broke down. I did not have a choice but I knew the guy and he has good reputation in town. At least they are not ripping into it to try and make a buck. They were straight up with me from the start. I new they could handle the TOB install and felt it was better than calling a ham fisted tow truck driver to tow it somewhere else. Like I said I have a place to stay here also while the work was being done.

They did pull the cover off the tranny as you have to in order to replace the TOB retainer sleeve and from a quick visual check it looked OK. Meaning no broken parts floating around. My hunch on the TOB, pilot bearing, retainer sleeve did not pay off unfortunatley. Give me a break:rollseyes

dezracer

13k miles and the tranny went out? Cant say i've ever heard of a t56 going out when it was driven "easily"

Not going to say I never launched the car hard, or redlined it thru the gears a few times, but the T56 is a tough tranny. In fact the first loud squeel I heard was at 120 in 5th gear But its not a track car either. Just one of those things I guess. Even a brand new tranny can have a bad part.

dezracer

Wow! Weren't you trying to limp it home a few days ago?

Yep, that was me.:whine: never made it home, still here.You can limp a car with a bad TOB, but not a bad tranny. Just asking for more$$$$ problems. They just dropped car minus tranny back at my house here in Utah. Tranny is on way to Salt Lake for rebuild or whatever they need to do. Hopefully by next week my life will be back to normal.:lol1:

dezracer

Well, appears the bearing that 6th gear rides on went bad and tore u;p the syncros for 5th and 6th and worst of all scored the countershaft. They made comment I must be driving it hard in the top gears:nonono: I assured them that was not the case, in fac I dont think ihave ever been in boost in 6th and rarley in 5th. I cant beleive as easy as I am on this car that the T56 cant handle it. I think I just had a bad bearing. Just waiting for the estimate now:??:

XyX

Still in the game.
Established Member
I mean...if you know how you drive and are doubting what their saying. See if you can go check out the damage first hand so you know their not just trying to shaft you. Because I know if a part on my car went bad and they say it was due to my driving or anything about me I'd want to see the parts and what exactly caused the problem.

dezracer

I mean...if you know how you drive and are doubting what their saying. See if you can go check out the damage first hand so you know their not just trying to shaft you. Because I know if a part on my car went bad and they say it was due to my driving or anything about me I'd want to see the parts and what exactly caused the problem.

No can do as the tranny was shipped to Salt Lake from the small town it died in. My mechanic has requested they send the bad parts back though.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
did you buy the car new or used? If used, what mileage.

im guessing if used, previous owner raped that tranny for all those miles. This is why i dont buy low mileage cobras.

Users who are viewing this thread