Opinion needed 285 vs 295

Draiter

Established Member
Wondering if anyone in the know, knows if there is much of a difference in size and more importantly, traction between the 285/35r30 mpss and the 295/35r20 mpss. Does it justify the extra price between the two?
Similarly is there much of a difference between the 295/35r20 101y and the 105y?
Reason for asking. Can't get them anywhere in Canada and going to order state side and want to know if the differences justifies the cost differences.

Thanks in advance

Silver_Bullet

Established Member
If you look on Tire Rack, You will see that the section width of the 101Y and 105Y are very different. IIRC, the 105Y is wider and the one that provides the most traction. IMO, if you're taking the plunge to gain more traction, go the extra $ and do it right the first time...get the 295's for the increased traction.

ThomasL

Established Member
The actual gains performance wise probably aren't even noticeable unless you are pushing these tires to the absolute limit. For me it was about a wider and more agressive look with the 295 (105y) and performance gains being an added bonus.

NewToFord

Established Member
I was going to ask this same question tonight. Any downsides to upgrading to a 295? Rubbing etc? Also I've seen a chart where at 65 mph the speedo with the 285's reads 65 mph where the 295's read 65.2 If we do not get a tune or a programer, isnt this adding extra miles to our car as well? Every 5 miles would be another mile wouldnt it?

shetheri

Established Member
Every 5 miles would be another mile wouldnt it?

That would be true if there was a 20% difference in the MPH. For instance, if the speedo was reading 78 and you were only traveling 65, however, the difference between 65 and 65.2 is only 0.3%. You would have to travel 333 miles to get an extra mile.

NewToFord

Established Member
That would be true if there was a 20% difference in the MPH. For instance, if the speedo was reading 78 and you were only traveling 65, however, the difference between 65 and 65.2 is only 0.3%. You would have to travel 333 miles to get an extra mile.

And thats why I failed math!

ThomasL

Established Member
I was going to ask this same question tonight. Any downsides to upgrading to a 295? Rubbing etc? Also I've seen a chart where at 65 mph the speedo with the 285's reads 65 mph where the 295's read 65.2 If we do not get a tune or a programer, isnt this adding extra miles to our car as well? Every 5 miles would be another mile wouldnt it?

No rubbing here. Fit is still great after new rear suspension/lowering as well.

ILW84U

Established Member

The biggest error you have made is with the 295's you will actually be showing less miles than what the car has traveled.

paluka21

Established Member
Make sure you're also getting the Ferrari tires and not the Porsche. IIRC the 105Y's come in both, and are specified by FER or POR...someone correct me if I'm wrong.

1TUF14SHELBY

Established Member
IMHO- I have the 295 rears and they look like the tire that Ford should have put on the back. As far as is there any advantage from a traction or even cornering perspective? If I were tracking the car (not dragging) I'd bet the stock size 285s with slightly less sidewall might be better, but for looks and straight line the 295s. That being said the MPSS's are not slicks so do not expect traction is night and day better than the GYs cuz it's not. Are the tires as a whole night and day better - yes but straight line traction on a 70-80 degree day is still not enough but the MPSS's seem more controlled while accelerating and seem to keep the ass end straighter.

I kept put stock size 265/40 MPSSs up front with the 295 rear and think the fronts would look more uniform with the 275s up there (many on the forum run them).

Last edited:

Vegasgold

Established Member
Vegasgold do you remember how much you paid for your tires?
I am in Canada. Total price installed and balanced was $1,842.19 Fronts 275/40ZR19. Rears 295/35ZR20. Both 105y. They fit perfect as many on here stated with no issues. Way more traction then the stock by a mile. I feel very comfortable and in control of the car at all times now. There is also a $70 rebate now for a set of 4 tires. I received mine in about 2 weeks.

Last edited:

Ky GT500

Established Member
Same here, 295 Ferrari and no rubbing, lowered also.

imagejpg1-13.jpg

imagejpg4-2.jpg

MrUnsubtleNinja

Established Member
I am in Canada. Total price installed and balanced was $1,842.19 Fronts 275/40ZR19. Rears 295/35ZR20. Both 105y. They fit perfectly as many on here stated with not issues. Way more traction then the stock by a mile. I feel very comfortable and in control of the car at all times now. There is also a $70 rebate now for a set of 4 tires. I received mine in about 2 weeks.

Where did you get them installed?

I got a quote for them for $2,080 and they said the tires are back ordered now...

I also live in the Edmonton Area so that's why I wondered!!

C0bra99

Established Member
I ordered from Tire Rack and still with delivery and duty it was still 20% cheaper then what I could find going to 8 or none different places in Calgary, Price was $1564 + duty(these tires are made in France) and GST

Snoopy49

Established Member
Have any of you been able to get the Ford dealers to price match? They are always advertising that they have the best prices on tires.

From Ford Owners Website - Look for "Get Service Coupons"

LOW PRICE TIRE GUARANTEE.

Why buy tires anywhere else, when your Ford Dealer offers all of this:

• 13 major tire brands
• 30-day price guarantee
• All makes and models

Valid on Dealer-installed retail purchases only. Requires presentation of competitor's current price ad/offer on exact tire sold by dealership within 30 days after purchase. See Service Advisor for details. Offer valid with coupon.

Stetler17

Established Member
295's even out the sidewall height with the 265/40 front. Looks much better...unless you go to 275/40 front, then you are back to having more sidewall on the front and it looks out of proportion. IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread