opinion on radiator fan (mishimoto vs. stock)

gat0r

Established Member
hi all

looks like my CCRM is bad, as well as my fan motor. fan motor is starting to have some drag when manually turning. fan blade is good. so i am trying to decide if i want to get the mishimoto shroud/fan kit or just a stock replacement fan/motor.

i have read about the mark viii & taurus fans. however i want to get a new fan, as Murphy messes w/ me enough. it gets hot enough here in Texas & i will be driving it in traffic.

i have been searching & reading but no real info or opinions on the mishimoto shroud/fan were found. I emailed mishimoto, they stated that this fan/shroud combo will work for 03/04 Cobra application.

also noticed there is no real info on our stock fan airflow (CFM). I have found it for all other fan options.

the CFM for mishimoto setup seems a little low, but the positive pressure created from the shroud may outweigh that a little bit.

mishimoto fan shroud

SHROUD:
Overall Size:
Height - 16.5"
Length - 28.8"
Width - 3.5" (Including fans)

14" FAN:
CFM: 954.1
Fan Diameter: 328mm
Fan RPM: 2290
Number of Blades: 10
Current: ~5.5A
Volts: 12.3V
Amps: 5.6
Velocity Ft/Min: 740
Inlet Pressure While Tested: -0.038
Air Temp While Tested: 62.1 (degrees F)

I will probably also attempt to box in the radiator to aid in airflow.

so anyone got a mishimoto shroud/fan?

any opinions / suggestions welcome

greengt88

Established Member
my advise is dont buy chinese shit.....factory fan flows almost 4000 cfm and is the best for our cars....tons of foxbody guys use them for that reason. if that thing only flows 1000cfm....boom

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I sure hope the CFM you are showing is a misprint, I think our throttle body flows more air than that.:shrug:

I think I would use an OE fan or better yet a Mark 8 fan if you do a lot of city driving.

950 cfm scares me, I am thinking it needs to be around 2500/3000 cfm.

Mark 8s I think are 4000 or 5000, but they draw about 40 amps on start up.
Carlos is using one(racebronco2).

fiveoh2go

Cleveland's OG
Established Member
Jimmy, why did the Mark 8s come with such a kick ass fan from the factory? Seems like over kill on that application? :shrug:

TNTLightning

DSG Terminator
Established Member
Jimmy, why did the Mark 8s come with such a kick ass fan from the factory? Seems like over kill on that application? :shrug:
Very small front grill area, and lincoln always builds for comfort and reliability. Need a big cfm fan to help cool condenser to make ice cold a/c.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member

300 horse, very small frontal openings with no engine venting except under car, large air conditioned cabin, fairly heavy car and the heat from and automatic trans.

The 97s and 98s had the most CFM. Taurus from that time period(95+) also had a nice high output fan, just not quite as much CFM.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member

Very small front grill area, and lincoln always builds for comfort and reliability. Need a big cfm fan to help cool condenser to make ice cold a/c.

This/\

300 horse, very small frontal openings with no engine venting except under car, large air conditioned cabin, fairly heavy car and the heat from an automatic trans.

The 97s and 98s had the most CFM. Taurus from that time period(95+) also had a nice high output fan, just not quite as much CFM.

fiveoh2go

Cleveland's OG
Established Member

300 horse, very small frontal openings with no engine venting except under car, large air conditioned cabin, fairly heavy car and the heat from and automatic trans.

Yeah, that makes sense.

gat0r

Established Member
my advise is dont buy chinese shit.....factory fan flows almost 4000 cfm and is the best for our cars....tons of foxbody guys use them for that reason. if that thing only flows 1000cfm....boom

i know our fans dont make anywhere near that CFM. the low speed of mark viii fan is considered an upgrade to ours.

so since the mark viii flows 3700 low & 4900-5000 high & taurus is rated @ ~3600-3800 --- (these are considered upgrades to our fan) i can guarantee our stock fan makes no more than 2500 cfm...that is probably on high side of things at best.

I sure hope the CFM you are showing is a misprint, I think our throttle body flows more air than that.:shrug:

I think I would use an OE fan or better yet a Mark 8 fan if you do a lot of city driving.

950 cfm scares me, I am thinking it needs to be around 2500/3000 cfm.

Mark 8s I think are 4000 or 5000, but they draw about 40 amps on start up.
Carlos is using one(racebronco2).

its not a misprint :shrug:

like i said, seems the positive pressure created w/ shroud may help, which is why i am asking here.

the 16" fan flows ~2000 cfm.

i know our cars could definitely benefit from a real fan shroud.
maybe i'll get/make a shroud & figure out how to get stock fan to work w/ it.

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
the 16" fan flows ~2000 cfm.

i know our cars could definitely benefit from a real fan shroud.
maybe i'll get/make a shroud & figure out how to get stock fan to work w/ it.

What about a pair of correctly sized Spal fans? Evans Cooling uses them on some of their cooling solutions, as does many other makers.

Spal has a very good reputation for reliability as well.
Perhaps include them in your price and performance evaluation.

Please post up what your findings are, this is a very timely project because the service life of many of these fans is coming to an end right now.

gat0r

Established Member
What about a pair of correctly sized Spal fans? Evans Cooling uses them on some of their cooling solutions, as does many other makers.

Spal has a very good reputation for reliability as well.
Perhaps include them in your price and performance evaluation.

Please post up what your findings are, this is a very timely project because the service life of many of these fans is coming to an end right now.

as an FYI,

Spal Dual 11" Fans are ~2700 cfm

Spal Dual 12" Fans are ~3100 cfm

Spal single 16" fan is ~3000cfm*
*(but not recommended for daily driven vehicles per Spal)

~~~

the dual kits are a little more than i was thinking but definitely will be researching more.

while i am waiting on my TF tanks, looks like i have quite a bit more reading to do. :read:

i will report back as i find more

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Too bad no other manufacturers make a solution fitted for these cars. They all seem to stop with the Fox body.

Users who are viewing this thread