Opinion wanted about heads and intake

Scream'nCobra

Cobra:No Substitute
Established Member
I wanted to know your opinions on what you think the best heads and intake for a 95 cobra are. I had planned on going with GT-40x aluminum heads with the Edelbrock Performer 5.0 manifold. Everything will be port-matched at .300.

I have heard many people say good things about the AFR, Edelbrock, and Trickflow heads, but not about the GT-40x. Which would give me the most hp when ported .300? I also would like to know the difference in performance of a 58cc head and a 64cc head. I want to buy the best heads money can buy and i am willing to spend no more than $1500 on complete heads, not ported.

For the intake, the Performer 5.0 is almost $500 and has performance gains of up to 37 hp, the GT-40 is almost $700 for 25-30 hp, and Trickflow is $400 for 35-40 hp. Why would i pay almost 7 bills for 25-30 hp when i can pay 4 bills for a possible 40 hp? Why is the GT-40 so expensive? Now, which one would give me the max airflow when ported at .300 with a 70mm T/B? Keep in mind that these manifolds will be force fed with a Densecharger...so i would like all the input and advice you guys can offer

Thank You

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
when i was looking in to doing the heads and intake on my 89 LX the best one that i thought would give me the most bang for the buck was the compleat holly systemax heads cam intake timing chain........doing it this way you new it was all matched up and would produce the # provided by the manufacturer...imo anyway good luck with you combo whitch ever you choose

NoSVT's4me

Established Member
I wish I'd seen this sooner. I've had GT40 TurboSwirls, as well as Edelbrock, AFR and TFS already.

Since you plan on a supercharger, I'd NOT get the Edelbrock RPM intake, although I really liked mine. Otherwise, I think the Ford products are more expensive because you're paying for the name as well as the part....

I had instant gains (with the Performer intake) by switching from the GT40 heads, to the TFS TW heads. The AFR's gave the most overall power (by 3rwhp) but I still like the TFS better due to cost and installation ease (no reducers).

With a s/c or turbo, I'd choose an intake that doesn't have a wall, like the Edelbrock has. Instead, I'd look at the TrickFlow or any other that is "rounded" so the aircharge can flow faster. If it was nitrous, I'd use the Perf. 5.0 or RPM version.

If you're using factory pistons, you will be limited on cam lift and duration when using the 2.02 valved TW version, but that shouldn't be an issue, since you won't need much to make good power. But be aware of the camshaft choice too. I prefer split durations in most cases, even with a small cam and a blower application.

With GT40 (aluminum) heads and 1.72 Motorsport rockers, my car ran a best of 12.42@110mph. With the TW dropped on with the 1.7 rockers, and nothing else changed, my very 1st pass astonished me.... [email protected]. The problem is, I launched with wheelspin concerns everytime, so I never really made an all out assault back then, but a nearly 4mph gain showed me all I needed to see... BIG power gains with the TW heads over GT40's.

Next up, for choice... I'd prefer the AFR 185's over anything I've used, except the TW heads. And even though I don't want Performer series heads, I do like them and they're always a pretty good choice. Also, the GT40's are usually the most expensive on the market(stock replacement), but the price has dropped over time, thankfully. TW's still sell for under $1100 as far as I know. I use TW "R" heads now... Those are a tad more costly!!! :whine: But that's what I like, so that was it.

Scream'nCobra

Established Member
Thanks for the info NoSVT, but BTW, a densecharger is not a supercharger. Its a CAI. I dont believe i said anything or hinted about a supercharger. Ive decided to go with the AFR 185's, ported GT-40, and a B-303. Ive never seen this combo before so thats why i am doing it...trying something different! Do you think i would need a chip to get the best results for this?
Thanks

NoSVT's4me

Established Member
Originally posted by Scream'nCobra
Thanks for the info NoSVT, but BTW, a densecharger is not a supercharger. Its a CAI. I dont believe i said anything or hinted about a supercharger. Ive decided to go with the AFR 185's, ported GT-40, and a B-303. Ive never seen this combo before so thats why i am doing it...trying something different! Do you think i would need a chip to get the best results for this?
Thanks
I thought about that WAY too late and couldn't remember where this post was to correct it!! :whine: Anyway... The other info still applies... What's funny is, I had just spoken to someone about this "densecharger, about 4 weeks ago and it was a pretty in depth learning(for me) for just a CAI! I don't believe in using them, and subsequently, never try to learn anything about them anymore. I've seen cars lose power with the addition of CAI's too many times. They only help at fairly high speeds. I'd simply remove the silencer and go with it.

I think the combo you've decided on will work very well, btw. I'd avoid that little cam though... At least consider an F-303, but I'd get something altogether different, like I mentioned before... Perhaps a "Steeda 19" would be on my list of cams to spec and think about. The heads will respond better with more cam.

A chip isn't really needed... BUT, if you get one, it needs (desperately) to be custom burned, not an ordered unit from anywhere. Have fun...

Scream'nCobra

Established Member
The thing is...i already have the B cam. I bought it off a friend way back when for $150 with the all necessities. So it was a damn good deal. I guess i could sell it and with that money plus some a little more, buy another. Thanks for the help!

Scream'nCobra

Established Member
A guy i know is thinking about getting rid of his E cam and im sure he would sell it to me cheap. Would that be better than the B cam, or would getting a custom cam be the best bang for the buck?

NoSVT's4me

Established Member
Best bang for the buck would probably be a cam like the Steeda19($220). I also really like the Trickflow cams, but I' ve never hasd one in any of my engines, personally. That, and I think the one I'd want to use has too much lift for the 185's 2.02 intake valves over stock pistons.

So, since you have the "B" cam, I'd just go with it. It has less lift, but I think it also has longer duration events than the "E" cam. Neither of these cams(B or E) is going to use the heads to their potential, so you may want to use 1.7 Motorsport rockers instead of the 1.6's they usually say to use with these cams. I'm sure any lift under .510 won't be an issue, and the "B" is well below that, even with 1.7's (about .495).

I wouldn't be at all surprized to see a combo like this(your idea) make close to 300rwhp through a 5 speed. Btw, factory 19 lb. injectors would handle this much with no trouble, but you may also want to step up to 24 lbers. If you intend to add any power adder later, get larger injectors now, and save the trouble. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread