Opinions 2014 GT500 vs 2017 GT with Roush supercharger 727 HP

WVTrakPak

Established Member
We believe that his clutch is fried (could it be the burnout??). He thinks it will be covered with warrenty, but I don't think so time will tell after a trip to the dealer. I am old school where as every $$ spent on power you must spend same $$ on reliability. The clutch was something that should have been addressed when you add that much more power!! No one can tell me that a stock 2017 GT clutch will handle 727 HP, but I might be wrong.
Does Roush mod the clutch on their Stage 3??
Thanks for the support and I will keep you guys updated if you are interested.

No the clutch is not upgraded on the Roush Stage 3. The Roush suspension is very good and worth the $, but IMHO the GT with a blower is just that. I was not surprised at all that you got him as theses cars are very well engineered. I love them!

Jam421

Jam421
Established Member
Here's an advertisement + brief section of the FAQ from Lebanon OH dealer who sells the Roush 77Hp s a package. No mention of clutch upgrade or specifics on clutch warranty :
"Lebanon Ford Performance (LFP) has found a way to build a 727 horsepower - 2016 Mustang GT for: $39,995. This is not a misprint and you are not buying a pre-owned vehicle. This is a brand new, 2016 GT with a ROUSH Phase 2 Supercharger. When we are finished, you are a set of tires, a few suspension tweaks and a good driver away from a 10.95 quarter mile "

Q. What are the power numbers of the Phase 2 LFP 727 Mustang?
A. 727 HP and 610 lb-ft torque.
Q. Is there a warranty on the LFP 727 HP Mustang?
A. 3 year, 36,000 mile parts-only limited warranty.
http://www.lebanonford.com/the-727-hp-mustang.htm

Last edited:

Papaw

Established Member
Nice info.
I don't think I've ever heard of a "parts only" warranty before.

Another question: The manufacturers have to certify their stated HP numbers. Are aftermarket packages regulated in any way or are they able to state whatever HP/TQ numbers they want?

boduke0220

Established Member
been following this thread for a while, good results! i agree, if one were to buy the GT i would like to have 2 or 3 thousand dollars saved for some suspension, tires and a good clutch. i actually was actually debating on which car ( gt500 vs GT) to purchase about 5 months ago. ended up with the GT and now have a nice VMP tvs blower on it. both are great cars and the only thing that deterred me from the Shelby was insurance ( 24 years old) and how "rare" it is. i daily my cars and didnt want it to get beat up.

i think both of you should get a set of tires and do a rematch. would be extrememyl interesting!

Ill_W1N

Established Member
I'm not surprised by the results. His "727" rated horsepower is probably more like 600rwhp or less with a shitty roush canned tune on it. First thing he should do is have someone else tune it to wake that car up. Then he probably puts a few lengths on you. that's considering you don't tune yours. Then it's probably the same outcome. I had a stock clutch on my old mustang with an mt-82 pushing 684rwhp and did numerous burnouts with no slipping before I switched to a rxt. Did he dump the clutch in 2nd gear and hold the break? Crazy to burn through a clutch like that after a burnout.

phil123

Established Member
Evidently Roush is having a lot of problems with the stage 2/3 tunes and they are not as fast as stage 1's. A few people on mustang6g.com are showing time slips in high 10's for stage 1's.

Last edited:

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Evidently Roush is having a lot of problems with the stage 2/3 tunes and they are not as fast as stage 1's. A few people on mustang6g.com are showing time slips in high 10's for stage 1's.
(Phil, correcting you, not being facetious.)
The "stages" refer to the cars as Roush, Roush Stage 1, Roush Stage 2, and Roush Stage 3. The level of car itself.
Phases are referring to power levels, Phase 1 -627HP, Phase 2 - 727HP. Phase 3 hasn't come out for the S550 cars yet.
So saying, "a lot of problems with the stage 2/3 tunes and they are not as fast as stage 1's", is incorrect. It should read,.....a lot of problems with the Phase 2 cars and they are not as fast as Phase 1 cars.

phil123

Established Member
Agreed got the terminology mixed up but still interesting and impressive if phase 1 are actually sub 11 in the quarter. Evidently if someone uses a tune other than Roush to fix their phase 2 it voids the warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread