Opinions Needed - 1/2 or 3/4 ton Truck?

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
You are in a good situation. Why? Because you haven't bought yet. Most buy truck first and then figure out what they are towing.

That's a pretty good load for a 1/2 ton. You didn't mention whether it's an enclosed trailer or not. I'm going to guess not due to the weights.

At the very least, you would need a half ton with the max tow package. This puts you with a decent set of gears, built in trailer controller, etc. Those with the big daddy engine for that half ton will put you at the 10,000-12,000 pound tow rating.

And that tow rating doesn't mean didley. Why?

Cargo capacity (weight) is almost always going to be your limiting factor. On half tons, even well equipped ones, that weight is around 1800#. Your 8500# trailer, if loaded correctly, will put your at well over 1200# tongue weight. That leaves you 600# for people and stuff in the bed of the truck. And that's only if you've actually weighed the trailer. I've found that most people grossly underestimate their pulling/wet weight.

Yes, the 1/2 ton will pull it. Will you feel comfortable with it? Maybe.

In my opinion, a 3/4 ton is a much better choice. Be aware, however, that according to options, your 3/4 ton may actually even have less cargo capacity compared to a 1/2 ton with less bells and whistles. The 250/2500 trucks are marginally better in cargo weight and towing compared to a max tow equipped 1/2 ton.

My suggestion is to step straight to the 350/3500 single rear wheel. You will have plenty of room for what you are hauling right now, doesn't cost much more than a 250/2500, and also leaves you plenty of room to grow.

For reference, I tow similar as you except with a 1/2 ton. 10,300# scaled, 38' travel trailer. I've made significant upgrades to suspension and such on my 1/2 to make the ride more confident feeling. At my current clip of 5000 miles per year, I'll be ready for my much need 3/4 ton srw sometime after I die. LOL

**One final caveat - most 1/2 ton receiver hitches are only rated for 500/5000 towing without a weight distribution hitch. Some are a bit more. There is usually a sticker on the receiver somewhere stating as such.

ziggity

Established Member
^Good info here, I would go with the 3/4 ton especially since your not going to be daily driving it. I have towed with my truck and my fathers F350 and theres a big difference. The 3/4 ton with a gas engine should have pretty good payload but its also going to depend on trim level and options.

efurlong

Established Member
If you're going to keep the truck for 10+ years...especially in the horrible NE winters, terrible weather, salted roads, etc. I'd only consider the Ford with an aluminum no rust body.

Users who are viewing this thread