Opinions on Base GT knock off wheels for DR's

black5.0

Established Member
AM has 18x10 base gt knock off wheels (18x10") for cheap, and I'm debating on getting a set and putting a 305/35/18 DR or close to that size on them for the track. Looking for some feedback. Would they be to heavy and not worth it? Better options? Thanks.

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
No weight savings, per se, but if all you want is cheap wheels to get some drag tires on...why not?

For the record, I got my 15x8 Race Stars for $355 a pair, shipped with lugs.

Mike

acrbill

Established Member
you can buy a set of summit brand drag wheels in 15x8 for $107 a wheel. All you need is a set of 5/16 spacers to clear the calipers. the 275/60 tires will hook a ton better and are way cheaper than 18" drag radials.

Unless of course you want to run around on the street, then the 18" will be a better choice.

alex12gt

Established Member
you would save money buying a set of 15in drag wheels instead yeah the 15in wheels will cost a bit more but you will save the difference in tires and there are a lot more options for 15in dr's

black5.0

Established Member
The only time I'd probably run them on the street is on the way to the drag strip, problem is it's about 80 miles away. I guess I could price out wheels/tires for both sizes and see the cost vs benefit

chuckstang

Established Member
I too am thinking about going with the AM 18x10 factory looking 5 spoke wheels because I love the way they look on my 2011 but hate the fact that they are only 18x8!

Anyone know the weights of the factory 18x8s? I believe the AM 18x10 weigh 31 pounds?

Anyone have any pics of these 18x10 AM wheels mounted on their car? Curious what they look like. I would like to try and keep my factory fronts if they match well

kevinp

Established Member
I too am thinking about going with the AM 18x10 factory looking 5 spoke wheels because I love the way they look on my 2011 but hate the fact that they are only 18x8!

Anyone know the weights of the factory 18x8s? I believe the AM 18x10 weigh 31 pounds?

Anyone have any pics of these 18x10 AM wheels mounted on their car? Curious what they look like. I would like to try and keep my factory fronts if they match well

The extra 2" is offset to the outside so it looks kinda goofy with the stock fronts. The color/style matches OK, stock center caps wont work on them so the caps wont match. I cut the stock caps down to work in them but I couldnt get used to the offset so I sold them off a while ago.

Good track only wheels, but as already mentioned I would just do 15" wheels if I was going to do a track only setup.

If I remember the AM 18x10 was like 2lbs heavier a wheel that the stock 18x8s.

I ended up just using 265 MT/DRs on an extra pair of stock wheels for the track, works fine for me. But they are shorter than the stock tires and dont look good on a 8' wide wheel..

chuckstang

Established Member
The extra 2" is offset to the outside so it looks kinda goofy with the stock fronts. The color/style matches OK, stock center caps wont work on them so the caps wont match. I cut the stock caps down to work in them but I couldnt get used to the offset so I sold them off a while ago.

Good track only wheels, but as already mentioned I would just do 15" wheels if I was going to do a track only setup.

If I remember the AM 18x10 was like 2lbs heavier a wheel that the stock 18x8s.

I ended up just using 265 MT/DRs on an extra pair of stock wheels for the track, works fine for me. But they are shorter than the stock tires and dont look good on a 8' wide wheel..

Do you have any pics of this set up? I would think that offset in the rear would look more appealing set more towards the fender even with the front tucked but maybe not...

Also how do you like your 2010 gt500 wheel/tire set up? what tires are you running on those for the street as well?

kevinp

Established Member
Do you have any pics of this set up? I would think that offset in the rear would look more appealing set more towards the fender even with the front tucked but maybe not...

Also how do you like your 2010 gt500 wheel/tire set up? what tires are you running on those for the street as well?

No pics, the offset would look OK if the front was similar, but the OE rims are really tucked in there so it just didnt look right to me. If you bought the aftermarket matching 18x8s they may have the same offset but I figured if I was going to replace all four I would just do 18x9.5 all the way around, I got a great deal on the SVT wheels and GT500 tire take offs so I went that route.

I like the GT500 wheels, they are a little heavier than the stock ones though. I have the stock '07-09 and '10 vert GT500 size tires on it, 255 and 285 something F1 goodyears. I also have another pair of the same wheels with 305/40/18 555r Nittos on them I use in the summer. The 305s are just a bit large on a 9.5" wheel but they look OK, dont have any detailed pics of those on the car.

chuckstang

Established Member
No pics, the offset would look OK if the front was similar, but the OE rims are really tucked in there so it just didnt look right to me. If you bought the aftermarket matching 18x8s they may have the same offset but I figured if I was going to replace all four I would just do 18x9.5 all the way around, I got a great deal on the SVT wheels and GT500 tire take offs so I went that route.

I like the GT500 wheels, they are a little heavier than the stock ones though. I have the stock '07-09 and '10 vert GT500 size tires on it, 255 and 285 something F1 goodyears. I also have another pair of the same wheels with 305/40/18 555r Nittos on them I use in the summer. The 305s are just a bit large on a 9.5" wheel but they look OK, dont have any detailed pics of those on the car.

good points. How do you like those goodyear f1s on the new 5.0? They sucked on the gt500 lol.

sucks trying to work it on a budget...wish I could afford a set of custom CCWs :rockon:

chuckstang

Established Member
Kevin- I see AM says the 18x10s have a 45mm offsett. Wouldnt that be tucked? I thought the GT500 18x9.5 are 40mm.

chuckstang

Established Member
found some pics of the AM 18x10s with the stock fronts for anyone interested... those are 275s out back, same type tire as fronts. Not sure why he went with wider all season tires out back but these are the best pics I could find.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:

kevinp

Established Member
Kevin- I see AM says the 18x10s have a 45mm offsett. Wouldnt that be tucked? I thought the GT500 18x9.5 are 40mm.

Thats what I thought when I bought them, but they just looked odd on the car with the stock fronts, to me anyhow. I never even looked at the offsets/backspace on the GT500 wheels, I had them on my 2010 GT500 vert and I liked them.

The F1 tires arent the best from what I read, but they do OK on this car as long as the streets are fairly warm. I dont autocross or open track the car though, stoplight to stoplight and blasting around the mountains they do just fine. Plus I paid 200.00 for all four brand new take-offs :)

chuckstang

Established Member
Thats what I thought when I bought them, but they just looked odd on the car with the stock fronts, to me anyhow. I never even looked at the offsets/backspace on the GT500 wheels, I had them on my 2010 GT500 vert and I liked them.

The F1 tires arent the best from what I read, but they do OK on this car as long as the streets are fairly warm. I dont autocross or open track the car though, stoplight to stoplight and blasting around the mountains they do just fine. Plus I paid 200.00 for all four brand new take-offs :)

cant beat that! I got my eye open for some 2010 gt500 rims as well with tires would be nice! Although, I really like the retro styling on the stock 18x8s, I just wish they were not 8" wide!

Users who are viewing this thread