opinions on general exclaim uhp tires

jeffl9682

Established Member
i am on a budget and need some tires. Ive been doing a lot of research and the new nittos look pretty good but the treadwear rating is whats holding me back. I dont drag race or do burnouts or anything like that, just drive the car alot in the spring summer and fall to meets and cruises and such so im not looking at super expensice tires. Ive been looking at the general exclaim uhp's in 265-35-18 and 295-35-18. They have recieced nothing but great reviews and the treadwear is 360 which is greeat. I want a tire with the best treadwear i can. I cant afford tires every 10-15k miles.
my guestion is would these be a good all around tire for just daily driving? Or has anyone have any experience with these?

thanks
jeff

skaarew04SVT

Not quite fast enough
Established Member
yep i had some on my old 02 GT. i do not recommend them. despite the higher treadwear number, they wear fast, and in my experience a bit unevenly. They feel ok, but dont expect good traction. The sidewalls are a bit soft, and dont handle as well as the bigger $ tires.

Matt@DTD

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
It sounds like you would benefit more form an ultra high performance all season tire, something like the Goodyear Eagle F1 All Season or BFG Super Sport All Season. Tires like the ones listed usually have a higher tread wear rating somewhere around 400. The problem is finding a tire like this in the sizes you want. The majority of matching tires in the sizes you requested are either ultra high performace or max perfromance tires which like you mentioned, last anywhere from 15K to 25K miles. I haven't seen many reviews on the Exclaim UHP so I can't help you there. What are you wheel dimensions? If possible, would you be ok with changing up the tire sizes?

Last edited:

jeffl9682

Established Member
the wheels im getting are 18x9 fronts and 18x10s rear. I originally wanted a 315-30-18 for the rear but the only ones i found that were in my budget, well close to my budget where the hankook ventus and the azenis but the treadwear rating was pretty poor. I just the want widest possible tire in the rear with decent treadwear without breaking the bank but im beginning to think thats like trying to find a needle in a haystack. I also would really like a road hazard warranty on the tire, for some reason i get a lot of nails in my tires and blow outs.

jeff

snakecharmer

Established Member
Matt@DTD

I am seriously considering this same tire for my Z06, since it comes in the correct OEM sizes. I absolutely DETEST the Crapyears that are on it. Worst tire on the planet. I've been waiting for Michelin to do the 325 size, but the reports I have seen in the corvette forums suggest this is a good tire. Any thoughts or feedback from customers that have used it on a Corvette?

Matt@DTD

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
the wheels im getting are 18x9 fronts and 18x10s rear. I originally wanted a 315-30-18 for the rear but the only ones i found that were in my budget, well close to my budget where the hankook ventus and the azenis but the treadwear rating was pretty poor. I just the want widest possible tire in the rear with decent treadwear without breaking the bank but im beginning to think thats like trying to find a needle in a haystack. I also would really like a road hazard warranty on the tire, for some reason i get a lot of nails in my tires and blow outs.

should of mentioned that lol its a 2004 gt

It looks like for what you want, running 245/40-18s in the front and 275/35-18s in the rear is going to be your best option. There is a pretty good selection of ultra high performance all season tires in these sizes. The two I would highly recommend are the Goodyear Eagle F1 All Season or the BFG Super Sport All Season. Both tires have exceptional wet traction but the BFG has a little better dry grip and response. In terms of life, the tread wear rating on the F1 is a 420 and the Super Sport has a 400. So in theory, the Goodyear should last a little longer. IMO, you'll get around 30K to 35K miles out of both models. I know these sizes aren't what you want, so if you don't mind spending a little extra, you can run the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season Plus in the 255/40-18 size for the front and 285/35-18 size for the rear. If you want to go a little wider in the front, this Michelin model is available in the 265/35-18 size as well.

I forgot to mention that all the tires listed above have the option for road hazard coverage!

Last edited:

Matt@DTD

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Matt@DTD

I am seriously considering this same tire for my Z06, since it comes in the correct OEM sizes. I absolutely DETEST the Crapyears that are on it. Worst tire on the planet. I've been waiting for Michelin to do the 325 size, but the reports I have seen in the corvette forums suggest this is a good tire. Any thoughts or feedback from customers that have used it on a Corvette?

Like I mentioned above, I do not have much information on this General tire since we do not inventory it, so I don't have any customer feedback to report. I do know your vehicle however, and I think traction will be a major issue for you in both wet and dry conditions if you run this particular tire. I just don't think the model has enough contact patch for your application. Corvettes eat tires, so I think overall, you will be disappointed with this tire. I would highly consider looking into the Nitto Invo. They currently do not build this model in the 325/30-19 size, but you can certainly run the 345/30-19 size in rear.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread