Opinions on manual rack in Cobra?

93_SVT_FREAK

Established Member
I'm trying to decide if I want to put a Flaming river manual rack in the Cobra or keep the factory powering steering. What do you guys think?

I'm wanting to do a N/A 306 setup

svt2205

Established Member
If the Flaming River steering rack is anything like their steering shaft. STAY AWAY.... I put one of those P.O.S.'s on my Cobra last year to replace the semi tired rag jointed shaft. Their design with 2 set screws per joint allows for a HUGE amount of play. But if their other parts are as inconsistent as the one I bought is. It's surely not worth it.

There's a company AGR or something like that which does some nice steering racks. Their power racks incorporate many of the improvements that have been made since our 93's were built. Just a thought.

cobra93

Established Member
svt2205 said:
If the Flaming River steering rack is anything like their steering shaft. STAY AWAY.... I put one of those P.O.S.'s on my Cobra last year to replace the semi tired rag jointed shaft. Their design with 2 set screws per joint allows for a HUGE amount of play. But if their other parts are as inconsistent as the one I bought is. It's surely not worth it.

Hmmm. Flaming River is pretty much the standard in the drag racing world. I have had their rack and "POS" steering shaft installed on my Cobra for 7 years. The first 2 years of that time I drove the car to and from work and the track every day. It has been a zero maintenance item. I have not experienced any amount of play with their design.

mgerman93

Established Member
"Hmmm. Flaming River is pretty much the standard in the drag racing world. I have had their rack and "POS" steering shaft installed on my Cobra for 7 years. The first 2 years of that time I drove the car to and from work and the track every day. It has been a zero maintenance item. I have not experienced any amount of play with their design."

This has been my experience as well.

buddha93

Established Member
cobra93 said:
Hmmm. Flaming River is pretty much the standard in the drag racing world. I have had their rack and "POS" steering shaft installed on my Cobra for 7 years. The first 2 years of that time I drove the car to and from work and the track every day. It has been a zero maintenance item. I have not experienced any amount of play with their design.

Ditto. Not sure what else to say about that one.:shrug:

I'd leave the PS setup on if your mainly using the car for street duty.

svt2205

Established Member
Then my situation isn't the norm. Funny how they wouldn't address it when I contacted them with the problem. They said it was a normal condition. So, maybe I got a POS or maybe you guys got good one's. Doesn't matter. Just wanted to share my thoughts regarding their products or at least the steering shaft.

stangbear427

Established Member
I had their rack and shaft in my '91 GT as well, I don't know how there could be any play in that shaft if you put it together right. Awesome piece. the rack was great too, but I'm not going to move it over to my Cobra since my wife is driving it now. It wasn't hard to steer mind you, I'd just like to keep the Cobra a little more... civilized. If I had it to do again though, I would have gone with the quick ratio. That 20:1 s#!+ is for the birds. It still turned so easy that even if the 15:1 was harder, it still wouldn't be a problem to drive.

svt2205

Established Member
stangbear427 said:
I had their rack and shaft in my '91 GT as well, I don't know how there could be any play in that shaft if you put it together right. Awesome piece. the rack was great too, but I'm not going to move it over to my Cobra since my wife is driving it now. It wasn't hard to steer mind you, I'd just like to keep the Cobra a little more... civilized. If I had it to do again though, I would have gone with the quick ratio. That 20:1 s#!+ is for the birds. It still turned so easy that even if the 15:1 was harder, it still wouldn't be a problem to drive.

Did you do the drill in the "dimpling" as they suggest? Maybe that's the cause for mine not being all that tight.

gtmustang00

Established Member
i didn't drill the dimpling in mine. i have a 89 gt w/ flaming river set up. no problems yet.

Hec332

SBF W/Twin 76's Street Car
Established Member
I had one installed on my blk cobra and love it. But i did have skinnies on it.

stangbear427

Established Member
svt2205 said:
Did you do the drill in the "dimpling" as they suggest? Maybe that's the cause for mine not being all that tight.
I did. It was tedious, but not difficult. If you didn't, I'd blame that long before blaming the part.

svt2205

Established Member
I still don't have anything positive to say about this part. Dimpled or not. It's not a great design. Next time, if I ever bother, I'll go with the welded design MM sells. Glad their part worked out very well for some others.

stangbear427

Established Member
Compared to the stock shaft, it is a great design. If you didn't dimple the set points, there is nothing to stop it from moving, which was your only stated complaint. It was unfounded. Your argument is like buying a car and bitching that it didn't keep running like a clock even though you never put gas in it. WTF?!
Now, the aluminum version, that wasn't a great design. MM stopped selling them because they kept breaking on people, and that is seriously not cool. The steel shaft however, has made everyone I know of who has it very happy except for you. So far, your argument holds water like an egg crate. Yes, there are better ones out there, but there is nothing wrong with the Flaming River shaft. If installed properly, it will give years of flawless, upgraded perfromance.

Users who are viewing this thread