Opinions on roush mufflers+resonator delete?

t-ray

Established Member
I currently have the roush mufflers, with everything else being stock(manifolds, cats and h-pipe). I have scheduled an appointment to have my resonators cut out. I really wanted to get the jpc over-axle pipes, but my wife would not allow me to spend the money :mj:.

Anyway, I've seen a few folks post about having the removed the resonators in combination with the roush mufflers, but I haven't read much opinion on the sound. How does it sound from outside the car? How about inside? Was the drone significantly affected? How about the wife-acceptance-factor?

Nocturnal'14

'18 ROUSH RS2 #18-0103
Established Member
DON'T DO IT!!!!

I have heard it done and it is terrible! Stick with either the ROUSH AB's
or get the GT500's with resonators cut (<---the route I went and LOVE it)

teamstorm02

Established Member
I have bassani x, jpc over axle pipes, and Roush axle backs. My friend has the lethal offroad x, stock over axle pipes with res. cut out, and gt500's. He likes the sound of mine so much more than his setup, he's planning on switching to what I have. The Roush's with cats is loud but not overly loud. I get complemented on it all the time from random people at stop lights. Just don't delete the cats.

t-ray

Established Member
How is the drone in the cabin? I was pleasantly surprised by the lack of the drone with the roush AB's. I anticipate an increase in drone, but I'm ok as long as it's only a moderate increase.

Erick

Established Member
After having a Flowmaster & Borla drone for the last 17 yrs I love my resonators. Thank you Ford!

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
It sounds great, just don't remove the cats. I have a pile of YouTube vids of this very combo, with an X-Pipe. No drone.

Mike

LETHALITY

Established Member
Roush without Cats is EAR BLEEDING LOUD! I loved my Roush AB's but I could not live with it. If it was a track only car then sure, I had to almost max my radio to hear it. I went with GT500's and love the sound they make. I still miss my Roush, but I enjoy the horsepower I gained from the off road pipe more!

scotmach

Established Member
I had the Roush's and then added the piece of crap heartthrob kit. I didn't think it got much louder deleting the resonators. But I believe the auto cars are quieter especially with guys like me with the stock 3.15's.

teamstorm02

Established Member
How is the drone in the cabin? I was pleasantly surprised by the lack of the drone with the roush AB's. I anticipate an increase in drone, but I'm ok as long as it's only a moderate increase.

the roush's have absolutely no drone. Only time ive ever heard guys complain about the roush's is after you delete the cats. But its only about how loud they get, not about drone.

GrnBullitt08

Established Member
I have bassani x, jpc over axle pipes, and Roush axle backs. My friend has the lethal offroad x, stock over axle pipes with res. cut out, and gt500's. He likes the sound of mine so much more than his setup, he's planning on switching to what I have. The Roush's with cats is loud but not overly loud. I get complemented on it all the time from random people at stop lights. Just don't delete the cats.

This is true....I've been thinking about it more and more since hearing his. Plus my old man has the Roushs on his GT500. The sound is starting to grow on me. As long as you don't delete the cats, it sounds great with no drone.
I will be installing resonators on mine if I decide to go that route...

t-ray

Established Member
Just got the car back from the exhaust shop, and I must say that I am quite pleased. It was only a short drive, but I detected no change in drone in the cabin. I do like the new tone - more of the hollow sound that I normally associated with mustangs in the past.

There is rasp too, but I don't mind that. I guess I'm what many here would call a recovering ricer, and I'm actually fond of a bit of rasp.

I'll try to post up more impressions as I get more seat time. Unfortunately with the approaching hurricane/storms, I won't get to drive with the windows down very much in the near future.

Users who are viewing this thread