Opinions on this Cobra

cstone94

Established Member
Hey guys, first off I'm not sure if this is even where I should be posting and asking this but here goes...

My 2014 GT on the jug just got totaled because an old lady ran a stop sign. Therefore, I'm in the market to purchase another vehicle. I loved my coyote, enough to buy it back from the insurance since the motor and trans are still fine. With that said, I'm torn between a new one yet again, or an 03-04 Cobra, my dream car basically.

I've found this one: 2003 Mustang Cobra Kenne Bell

It looks clean and according to him runs perfect. I'm a college student so I won't be able to head that way until Thanksgiving week/weekend. I just want some opinions as to whether I should get another newer model, or go with an 03-04. I'd like to know if the Cobra has more potential to be a fast street car over the 2013-14. I was going to forge the bottom end of mine, (about $2k) over the summer and dyno tune it for a 250-300 shot, but then this happened.

Hypothetically if I get a check for ~$30k I could buy a Termi and sink some money into it with the leftover. On the other hand, I could get a new one, swap the nitrous kit and tune it again.

Just need someone else's opinion to clear my head and set me in the right direction! Thanks in advance!

Peetiewonder

RoofGone GeorgeJefferson
Established Member
Having had both an S197 and a Terminator, I can tell you that they are two completely different cars. The s197 is leaps and bounds better than the sn95 in terms of chassis rigidity, interior quality, and driver ergonomics, but the terminator is a hoot to drive. If you can live with the shortcomings of the terminator after having had a more refined mustang then go for it! I know I don't regret it.

cstone94

Established Member
Having had both an S197 and a Terminator, I can tell you that they are two completely different cars. The s197 is leaps and bounds better than the sn95 in terms of chassis rigidity, interior quality, and driver ergonomics, but the terminator is a hoot to drive. If you can live with the shortcomings of the terminator after having had a more refined mustang then go for it! I know I don't regret it.

Well the interior can always be adjusted with seats, radio, etc. If I wanted a nice luxurious car I would look at a Lexus haha. I want a fast street car and you're advice definitely helped me! Thank you!

SNK-BITE

Established Member
Thats pretty close to my setup. You will not be disappointed!!!! Especially for $22.5K Its making pretty good numbers with a 3.5 upper and 4# lower. Long tubes, E85, and a 2.93 upper should put you deep into the 600's.

Last edited:

SNK-BITE

Established Member
Is $22.5k a fair price?

I think its fair! I gave $23.5K for mine bone stock with 30,199 miles on it. Make sure you pull the belt off the blower pulley and check for play, any idea of mileage the KB has on it? Also do not forget a compression test if you have the means to do so.:beer:

HandBanana

Established Member
You're a college kid and you have a paid off brand new GT? Your campus must have some amazing part time jobs. :dw: If you'd never had the '14, I'd say go with the Termi but now that you've experienced the luxuries of a new car, I'd say stick with what you know. You'll be complaining to yourself daily due to the lack of ammenities.

cstone94

Established Member
You're a college kid and you have a paid off brand new GT? Your campus must have some amazing part time jobs. :dw: If you'd never had the '14, I'd say go with the Termi but now that you've experienced the luxuries of a new car, I'd say stick with what you know. You'll be complaining to yourself daily due to the lack of ammenities.

Yeah it was an early 21st birthday present from my Grandfather. He told me if I had no tattoos, no piercings, no children, and didn't drop out of school, he would buy me one. I had a Jeep Wrangler as my first vehicle which wasn't reliable enough to keep him satisfied, haha. So he decided to get it for me early. Don't go thinkin I'm some stuck up kid though, :beer:

Anywho, I liked the 2014, a lot to say the least. On the other hand, I wasn't in it for luxuries or anything. I wanted a performance car, something I could learn to build. It was my first experience with nitrous, which was amazing and I enjoyed messing with it, but a terminator is my dream car without a doubt. I'm not dead set on a terminator though...

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
As much as I love my car and wouldn't trade it for a 5.0 - if it wasn't just a weekend toy and was instead my daily driver and only car, no way I would have bought it over a newer GT. Like others have said, find a 5.0 that's a few years old and put a modest blower on it - just don't go crazy on the boost. Wait until later in life to get a terminator when it won't have to see daily duty.

cstone94

Established Member
As much as I love my car and wouldn't trade it for a 5.0 - if it wasn't just a weekend toy and was instead my daily driver and only car, no way I would have bought it over a newer GT. Like others have said, find a 5.0 that's a few years old and put a modest blower on it - just don't go crazy on the boost. Wait until later in life to get a terminator when it won't have to see daily duty.

It wouldn't be a daily. I've got a crappy gas saver as my dd.

Peetiewonder

RoofGone GeorgeJefferson
Established Member
Well the interior can always be adjusted with seats, radio, etc. If I wanted a nice luxurious car I would look at a Lexus haha. I want a fast street car and you're advice definitely helped me! Thank you!

A man after my own heart... but not liek that hahaha

gasyone

Put Her In Jail!
Established Member
I currently own a 2012 Roush Stage 3 hyper series with the phase 2 upgrade that put 545 to the tires. I also just purchased an 03 with several mods. I have an appt. tomorrow with a well known local tuner to see what she puts down. Having both and doing the research the 03 has a lot more to give than the 5.0. You should not go over 600 rwhp on the 5.0 without doing some major mods to the bottom end. The Cobra is ready to go. Now as far as comfort, hands down the roush with the roush racing mods handles much better than the 03. Value wise while my Roush is #17 of only 25 produced and is a numbered limited production car, the 03/04 cobras will have a much higher value over time as they are one of the best mustangs ever made.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
It wouldn't be a daily. I've got a crappy gas saver as my dd.

Cool. Looking at the one in CL listing - looks like it's had a hard life if he had to replace a half shaft. I would definitely find out how long the KB has been on there. The price doesn't seem that bad for the level of mod though - but sounds like the paint may not be great.

Users who are viewing this thread