Opinions on Trade In Value

11GT50

Reality Checker
Established Member
I'm looking to trade in my '11 GT and I keep getting lowballed by the dealers, at least according to KBB and NADA. Both tend to think my car is worth in the $21k range on trade in, but the most I've been offered by a dealer is $19k.

What do you think my car is worth?

'11 GT Premium
Kona Blue
49k miles
Security Package
Automatic
Premium 19" wheels

No accidents. Interior and exterior are immaculate. Tires are at 50%.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Kbb and nada are not in the business of selling cars. What I mean is they have no responsibility after they tell you what your car is worth. However car dealers are in business to make money not lose it! Most dealers look at what your car is selling for around the nation! They use Mannheim reports and host of others they also factor in what cars like yours with simular miles are selling for in that region. Remember if they buy the car they have sell it for a profit. So if there are offering you 19k its with the intent to sell it for $22000. You will find that if the car has no reported accidents has a clean title and is clean and in good running condition you will get a better appraisal from Carmax . I sold my 2010 gt to them after shopping my car at other dealers! It was a base gt 4.6 in perfect shape, they gave me 19k for it back in late 2010. I bought the car for 24k in 2009, it had 15k on it!

5.0jake

Established Member
19k sounds about right with those kind of miles. You may be able to finagle another $500 or so. Remember when you trade you get less than you would get selling privately but save on tax. Pay the tax on the difference between your trade value and new car price...

I got $20.5K for my 2012 base Brembo 5.0 with 28k miles along with still getting a great price on the new 14'. They started by offering me 19k btw.

burke985

Established Member
When I got my 12 we traded in my wife's 300 , they gave us 9500 for it and sold it for 15,500. They are in the business to make money if your trying to get max value then sell it privately

goat-ee

Established Member
Must be showing higher prices in your area? My KBB for your options and miles say range of $18,591 to $20,022, mid range of $19,307. Sounds like the dealers have it perfect. There is a reason it's called trade-in value. That's what you get when trade in. All the guys who will tell you they are ripping you off are correct. But until you open your own dealership, you will never see anything close to retail sale price on your car.

Trading in a car is like taking a diamond ring to a pawn shop, it's easy and quick, but your not getting what's it worth. If you don't like the offer, sell it on craigslist. Otherwise take it in the shorts and move on. For what it's worth, I gave $21,500 a year ago for my very similar car with less miles from an individual.

11GT50

Reality Checker
Established Member
Must be showing higher prices in your area? My KBB for your options and miles say range of $18,591 to $20,022, mid range of $19,307. Sounds like the dealers have it perfect. There is a reason it's called trade-in value. That's what you get when trade in. All the guys who will tell you they are ripping you off are correct. But until you open your own dealership, you will never see anything close to retail sale price on your car.

Trading in a car is like taking a diamond ring to a pawn shop, it's easy and quick, but your not getting what's it worth. If you don't like the offer, sell it on craigslist. Otherwise take it in the shorts and move on. For what it's worth, I gave $21,500 a year ago for my very similar car with less miles from an individual.

Yeah, trust me, I know the dealer has to make their profit, I get how the car business works. I'm just asking the community here if this seems reasonable. The overwhelming opinion is that it does seem to be accurate, so I'm going with it.

Thanks, guys.

1Bad5.0

Established Member
Do yourself a favor and go to autotrader.com , enter all your info and see what they would give you. Most dealers are offering what autotrader will give them, as they sell a lot of used car inventory to them. Hope this helps.

11GT50

Reality Checker
Established Member
Do yourself a favor and go to autotrader.com , enter all your info and see what they would give you. Most dealers are offering what autotrader will give them, as they sell a lot of used car inventory to them. Hope this helps.

Funny you mention that, the second dealer I talked to, a rather large one, told me to do the exact same thing. So I did. My trade in came out to $14k which seems low, even allowing a profit margin for resale. I managed to talk that same dealer up to $18k, though.

what are you trading it in on?

Focus ST.

Users who are viewing this thread