Opinions on transmission work...

Auto

Established Member
Hello friends,

So my baby is gettin old lol...jk. I have about 85k miles on my original clutch and it is starting to chatter and becoming 'slushy'. My dad has a buddy who is a tech for Ford and he is going to open it up and take a look. We're both pretty sure the TOB needs to be replaced and he said I would need a new clutch and the flywheel to be resurfaced. He quoted me about $600 +/- for the job. Is that fair?

Also, while he has the tranny apart, anything else you guys would look at? Car is stock and I do not plan on any major mods. It's slow and I'm okay with that because I have a bike if I want to go fast lol.

Thanks for the input. Happy Thanksgiving!
-Matt

99Cobra_vert

Established Member
It's not a bad price if that includes the cost of the new parts. Replacing a clutch and flywheel is very straightforward, though, so it may be worth looking into doing it yourself.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
The title of the thread is "Opinions on transmission work..." Is any transmission work gonna be accomplished or just the clutch, flywheel and TB?

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
Additional parts replaced: my pivot ball and clutch fork were showing some wear so I replaced them too. And a new pilot bearing went in too along w/a Fidanza aluminum flywheel.

po-po 5.0

Established Member
Hello friends,

So my baby is gettin old lol...jk. I have about 85k miles on my original clutch and it is starting to chatter and becoming 'slushy'. My dad has a buddy who is a tech for Ford and he is going to open it up and take a look. We're both pretty sure the TOB needs to be replaced and he said I would need a new clutch and the flywheel to be resurfaced. He quoted me about $600 +/- for the job. Is that fair?

Also, while he has the tranny apart, anything else you guys would look at? Car is stock and I do not plan on any major mods. It's slow and I'm okay with that because I have a bike if I want to go fast lol.

Thanks for the input. Happy Thanksgiving!
-Matt

The clutch and ToB aren't actually inside the transmission, you just have to remove the transmission to replace them. So you're going to get charged a lot more if they actual go "in there."

Users who are viewing this thread