Opinion's on upgrading the brake system

grnenvy

Established Member
As most of u know I have a convertable with a Roush Supercharger. My car is as heavy as they get. My car is very hard to stop at times and the brakes already pulsate a little! I'm running an auto so the brake upgrade wasn't possible. I know the Brembo kit is an easy upgrade but I'm thinking I need more. My car is red so I want matching caliburs if possible. I'm looking at the Rousch setup and Steeda setup but what about Baer? Does anyone know if Baer makes the 6 piston calibur for them they sure do look alot alike. I need opinion's from people that have already upgraded. I'm also going to do something in the rear but I don't want to upset the ABS. Going with a larger capacity calibur in the rear from what I have read can sometimes mess with the ABS. Has anyone gone with a bigger setup in the rear without problems. Steeda makes a 13in rotor conversion with bracket but it's still not that impressive. I also know that most of the braking come from the front but going a little bigger in the rear has to help. Plus those little wimpy looking rear rotor's look stupid. Anyone??

Also is anyone running a brake duct kit?

B7BlownSnake

Established Member
First, there is no B or U in CALIPER. Caliber is a shitty Dodge. Calibur is not a word. :p Now that the grammar police have left the building, the answer is:

The Baer 6-piston set-up is great. I have it on my 06 GT in the front, and the 6-piston rear set-up is coming soon. It's a high quality, complete kit. If you go with the regular 6P kit, it is MUCH cheaper than any comparable 6-piston kit (and MUCH lighter than the factory brakes). The Extreme 6-piston kit is a comparable cost to the other 6-piston kits. The difference is the caiper construction. The 6P kit uses a 2-piece caliper that is bolted together while the Extreme kit uses a monoblock (1-piece) caliper. You will never notice the difference in performance unless you track the car extensively.

I would start there, and see if you need bigger rear brakes. You can always go with better pads, lines, and upgraded rotors in the rear. But if you want the looks and are cool with dropping another $2200, you can get the Baer 6-piston rear kit. It's a bit of work to put in as it converts your emergency brake to a drum.

Hope that helped.

acrbill

Established Member
Usually brake upgrades help when you are repeatedly hitting the brakes hard. On a daily basis there may not be noticable improvement.

grnenvy

Established Member
lol

:shrug:Yeah my spelling sucks. I'll tell u the same thing I tell my wife all my tenents pay my bills not my grammer. School teacher?? :shrug:
Thanks for the info. Baer told me the same thing on the phone today.

First, there is no B or U in CALIPER. Caliber is a shitty Dodge. Calibur is not a word. :p Now that the grammar police have left the building, the answer is:

The Baer 6-piston set-up is great. I have it on my 06 GT in the front, and the 6-piston rear set-up is coming soon. It's a high quality, complete kit. If you go with the regular 6P kit, it is MUCH cheaper than any comparable 6-piston kit (and MUCH lighter than the factory brakes). The Extreme 6-piston kit is a comparable cost to the other 6-piston kits. The difference is the caiper construction. The 6P kit uses a 2-piece caliper that is bolted together while the Extreme kit uses a monoblock (1-piece) caliper. You will never notice the difference in performance unless you track the car extensively.

I would start there, and see if you need bigger rear brakes. You can always go with better pads, lines, and upgraded rotors in the rear. But if you want the looks and are cool with dropping another $2200, you can get the Baer 6-piston rear kit. It's a bit of work to put in as it converts your emergency brake to a drum.

Hope that helped.

Entrenched

Established Member
$1895 4261211R - Baer 6P calipers with two piece rotors and SS lines (shelby sells a version embossed with their logo for the same price if that's your thing; I personally don't like it); really good deal with a smaller 6P caliper to keep the wheel selection a little more open (supposedly some 18s will fit); I wish I'd have gone this route....

Also invest in some good quality fluid (I'm running Super Blue @ the recommendation of Sam Strano); It was surprisingly easy to change the fluid with a Power Bleeder ($75 for a Ford specific kit with an aluminum master cylinder adapter instead of a plastic one)

I'd run the Baer pads that come with it to get an idea of how aggressive a brake compound you want. I wasn't very happy with my Baer pads on the Cobra and went with Hawk HPS pads and was pretty happy with them. I'm running HPS pads on the 11 front and rear.

Best brake mod for me has been the Goodridge lines and fluid change for reference.

grnenvy

Established Member
Hmm

Trust me the way my car accelerates then I try to stops it's tough.
My rotors are already warped and pulsating. It's hot here in florida and that doesn't help the brakes any. I'm not sure if doing the Brembo's will be enough?

Usually brake upgrades help when you are repeatedly hitting the brakes hard. On a daily basis there may not be noticable improvement.

grnenvy

Established Member
Hmm

Thanks for the info. I also liked the HPS pads I ran them on my 03 cobra.

$1895 4261211R - Baer 6P calipers with two piece rotors and SS lines (shelby sells a version embossed with their logo for the same price if that's your thing; I personally don't like it); really good deal with a smaller 6P caliper to keep the wheel selection a little more open (supposedly some 18s will fit); I wish I'd have gone this route....

Also invest in some good quality fluid (I'm running Super Blue @ the recommendation of Sam Strano); It was surprisingly easy to change the fluid with a Power Bleeder ($75 for a Ford specific kit with an aluminum master cylinder adapter instead of a plastic one)

I'd run the Baer pads that come with it to get an idea of how aggressive a brake compound you want. I wasn't very happy with my Baer pads on the Cobra and went with Hawk HPS pads and was pretty happy with them. I'm running HPS pads on the 11 front and rear.

Best brake mod for me has been the Goodridge lines and fluid change for reference.

grnenvy

Established Member
Thanks

Thanks for the info. This could be another possibility.
When I say pulsate that means when I hit my brakes my steering wheel shakes. My rotors are warped. My brake system is way to small for my car.

Users who are viewing this thread