opinions please.....

2004 REDFIRE

Established Member
i know theres a thread somewhere on here....i just put my stage IV s/c back on after getting it back yesterday. after i drove it around looking for leaks my radiator cap was leaking coolant. i had other 4.6L cobras and i know how to burp the system. with that said i went cheap route first and bought a new cap for it. i drove it around for 45 minutes and brought it back home and not a drop leaked from new cap. im lery about it just being a cap that worked fine prior to installing intake and s/c. is it possible that by porting s/c and a 3.10 pulley would cause a almost failing cap to finally fail? or did i crack the new intake gasket which would allow air to be forced into coolant which would cause pressure to rise? it never overheated at all. always stayed in the middle where it should. ive probably have drove this car above 125 since installing ported s/c. any ideas would be great. thanx in advance.

slow98cobra

Established Member
I think you are fine but that is IMO. I overfilled my system before and it did that until I reached normal operating level. Probably just a weak cap and coincidence. I personally wouldn't worry about it.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
i wouldn't just write it off, keep a very very close eye for leaks, and on the temp of the car. you never want to mess around with the cooling system because that could spell disaster.

If you burped it properly, make sure the coolant doesn't go above the add/fill line on the stock tank. If it continues to leak past the new cap, consider replacing the stock tank. The stock tank sucks and the threads can deform over time. I had leaking issues with my stock tank on my 01 and 03 Cobra. Bad caps and bad stock radiator tanks are a very common problem with these mustangs.

Users who are viewing this thread