Opinions wanted for HE idea

MPsvt04

SVT
Established Member
Anyone have any thoughts/experience on installing a bigger coolant tank for the intercooler heat exchanger? I am not really sure if it would be a substantial upgrade or not but I noticed that the factory coolant tank is pretty small. My logic tells me that if more coolant is available, the overall temp of the coolant would be lower, therefore keeping the intake air charge cooler. ex - A fabricated aluminum tank with twice the capacity of the stock tank could possibly produce a noticable coolant temp drop. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

SBlueSVT03

[url=http://img473.images
Established Member
Got some logic behind it. If you have the skill for such... I would like to see it.

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Actually one of the cent blower manufacturers already makes a larger resevoir and there are at least one aftermarket one made by a friend of a member hear. It does appear to help drop IAT's especially if drained and loaded with ice prior to a run.

Badgts

Ferrari Slayer
Established Member
I have considered having this done in the future (when warranty is over). I was thinking of an aluminum tank in the trunk, insulated and plumbed to the engine compartment into the stock system (but with lager HE as well). The larger tank would help tremendously at the track. And it would take significantly longer for the system to reach heat soak conditions during daily driving. Plus putting it in the trunk would help on the weight distrubution (and traction!). The "Heaton's" need all the help they can get. I think a lager reservior is a must for running higher boost levels with them.

MPsvt04

SVT
Established Member
Guy on BON is selling one:

That tank looks good. Nice welds. A bit pricey though. I was thinking about possibly relocating the battery to the trunk and mounting the tank in the old battery spot to get a clean install. Also I would keep the factory coolant tank in its place and just pipe-in the new tank so I guess it would be more like an auxilary reservoir.

BLWN03

I'm a Hustla Baby!!!!!
Established Member
Check my sig ID....stock fluid contained is 22oz..ours holds 2.5 GALLONS(approx.320oz.) not including what is contained in the lines,heatexchanger and intercooler...more than 10X the capacity of the stocker...either choice is good...all depends on if you want the light weight battery(7.5lbs) or stock battery(37.2lbs)....Gains with ours were done on a 50 degree day(cold) and we still gained 9hp & 11tq...dyno verified.

Jay

Users who are viewing this thread