Opinions

Cobragixxer9994

Established Member
I'm wanting to clean up my engine bay.

Is having polished pieces outdated (radiator fill panel, coolant overflow, power steering reservoir, coil covers, oil, washer, brake,power steering caps, battery cover,brake reservoir cover, fuse box cover).

Would having powder coated pieces be better than polished (valve covers, intake manifold,vortech supercharger,intercooler piping).

Car is black so the powder coating color would be ford blue or black.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
- Have you checked on prices between the two materials?
- Do you have a budget?

Personally, I like powder coated/paint better than polished.

Cobragixxer9994

Established Member
Powder coating is cheaper than having someone polish the pieces.
If I polish myself it's cheaper than powder coating.

Some of the pieces that I listed are currently plastic on the car so I would have to buy the polished pieces and have them coated.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I think it's possible to have too much polish. IMO a good mix is needed. Personally I'd keep the brake reservoir black or paint matched. To me it's a random thing that doesn't need to stick out.

I have the polished coolant tank and blower. The valve covers and coil covers are powder coated to match. Along with the paint matched JLT. I get a lot of compliments on how clean it is. Plus it's not a huge pain to keep clean. I would like to add a polished power steering tank just because I think the stocker looks odd with everything else.

IMO the engine bays that have all the billet and stick on polished pieces look tacky.

Cobragixxer9994

Established Member
Do you have any pictures of your engine bay ?

I have the ford racing coil covers I snagged for a very good price.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I like those coil covers. I ran them on my 01 back in the day.

Attachments

• 20230714_110007.jpg
    20230714_110007.jpg
    281.6 KB · Views: 57
  • 20140415_153443.jpg
    20140415_153443.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 59

robvas

Established Member
Taking my polished intercooler reservoir off to have powdercoated black this winter.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I'm wanting to clean up my engine bay.

Is having polished pieces outdated (radiator fill panel, coolant overflow, power steering reservoir, coil covers, oil, washer, brake,power steering caps, battery cover,brake reservoir cover, fuse box cover).

Would having powder coated pieces be better than polished (valve covers, intake manifold,vortech supercharger,intercooler piping).

Car is black so the powder coating color would be ford blue or black.

I do not think polished is outdated. However, as @01yellercobra mentioned there has to be a balance/good mix. There is a point where things start to get gaudy.

I have everything in my engine bay (paint to match, polish, powder coat and plastic). I think it is balanced and looks great. Obviously not everyone will like it, but I do get compliments as well.

20171001_094832.jpg

20170122_142514.jpg

Cobragixxer9994

Established Member
I do not think polished is outdated. However, as @01yellercobra mentioned there has to be a balance/good mix. There is a point where things start to get gaudy.

I have everything in my engine bay (paint to match, polish, powder coat and plastic). I think it is balanced and looks great. Obviously not everyone will like it, but I do get compliments as well.

View attachment 1801292

View attachment 1801293
Where did you get the ford racing oil cap ?

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Where did you get the ford racing oil cap ?

Think it was off eBay, but could have been from American Muscle or Lightning Force Performance too. I don't remember. It was some years ago....

I did a quick search and found this one. Kind of pricey though.

Bullitt1448

Established Member
I don’t think polished/chrome will ever go out of style. People have been adding that since the beginning of hot rodding. There are lots of ways now to dress up your engine bay, Paint, powder, hydro dipping what ever suits your style. It’s your car, your money, if others don’t like it, too bad for them. Do what YOU like and don’t sweat what others think.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator

View attachment 1801292

View attachment 1801293
That blower pulley is bigger that my rims. lol

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia

View attachment 1801292

View attachment 1801293

And I thought I was the only guy on the planet with a prop rod - lol.

slow98cobra

Established Member
Like everyone said, I would just have a couple main pieces that you want as focal points then the rest painted or powder coated. Too much polish or chrome can look cheesy. I removed my polished radiator cover and just left the blower polished which I think helped clean up the look IMG_5209.jpeg
IMG_5311.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread