Opinon.. 2001 Cobra / 2003 Cobra

ArizonaSnake

Established Member
Well gang.. I owned the 2001 just short of a year and 7800 miles.
I've owned my 2003 for about 72 hours and 1800 miles.

Thought I'd put a few opinions up just for giggles.

Overall look...

The pluses..
Rims are much nicer looking and wider sneakers a plus.
Hood is TERRIFIC looking.
I like the blackened rear valance.

Minuses
Of the 10 or so folks that have seen the car since I got it home, NONE like the spoiler on the back. They all say it looks cheap and ask if it is held on with 2 sided sticky tape.

I don't care for the color coordinated mirrors of the 2003. Like the black 2001 mirrors.

Over all I prefer the 2003 to the 2001.

Interior

The pluses...
The radio actually does the speed sensitive volume control. The 2001 didn't

I like the six speed.

Minuses
I know the seats are built for performance. They are HARD compared to the 2001. I did 1800 miles in the 2001 then came back 1800 miles in the 2003. Prefer the 2001 seats.

They changed the center Air vents.. Can't adjust the flow like the 2001. In the 2001 could adjust all 4 Air vents, in the 2003 only the outboard ones.

Didn't include an ashtray in the console or cargo net in the trunk. (unless the dealer blew this?) 2001 had both.

Changed the instrumentation. The Indigo Style red in the 2001 was MUCH better than the green 2003 style. I like my instrumentation to be very dim at night. Gets VERY dark here in Arizona and is nice to dim it down a bunch. 2001 could do it.. 2003 can not.

What is with all these damn child seat stickers on EVERYTHING! Visors (same as 2001), Rear Seat belts, EVEN the rear seats! The car is a performance car. Geez.

Interior.. 2001 was better.

Performance...

Well there is just no comparison. 2001 was sweet... but the 2003 is all over it. Rides like a buckboard, but boy does it handle.

2001 used to wheel hop like mad. Two launches on the 2003.. NO wheel hop.. !!!!!!!!!!!!!

NO comparison to the acceleration and enjoyment. 2003 hands down.

Exhaust is very subdued. 2001 had a better note. Intend to change the catback and fix this.

So bottom line, quick opinion, 2003 is the better for sure. Some missguided choices in the interior.. but hey I'm old and like my creature comforts!

Blades

Established Member
yeah man you got robbed of your ash tray and cargo net! Check all over the trunk for the cargo net, it tends to hide itself with every joyful launch!! But please.. dont smoke in the car. I think the new car smell is more addictive than nicotine. thats just me tho! :D

ygohome

Bullz
Established Member
azsnake,

just curious, which dealer did you did you get your 03 from?

I got mine from Pioneer. I found my cargo net in the glove box sealed in a plastic bag. They may have thrown it in the trunk and its hidden in a crevice somewhere. If not then pick it up from your dealer.

See ya

ArizonaSnake

Established Member
Greetings,

Got my car from Gene Stallings Ford in Oak Ridge Tennessee.
I took the cargo net from my 2001. I will however see if I can get the local dealer to get me one since I didn't have one new with the car.

03 Red Cobra

Established Member
I like the color matched mirrors. Gives the car a more
co-ordinated look. And mine has shut off levers on all 4 vents.
Oh well, that just means I have an early build car.

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
Yep. I understand part of the first build have adjustments on all 4 a/c vents. My cargo net was in the armrest compartment. I smoke but who needs an ashtray in a Cobra?

ArizonaSnake

Established Member
Well that is interesting that some have the shut offs for the center air vents. I care enough about that, that I might go to my local Ford dealer and attempt to order a replacement part that has them.

cobra0103

Established Member
Now that I finally have the 03 I'll throw my .02 in since I have been following this board since I ordered my 03 early last spring.

They are two different cars in many ways. I guess a comparo might be something like a boss 302/429 (I've never driven either but sure have admired them from afar when I was a kid in high school and went down to the Ford dealer to drool over them)

01: Better sounding stock, feels light on its feet in daily driving but does have more tendency of the hop or unplant when pushed. + Spoiler, instrument lights look better and able to dim to a darker level at night. Better under thigh support with the leather trim at bottom of seat(seems to support legs up in position to run the pedals better), clutch grabs higher up off floor facilitating quick shifts , no drivetrain vibration on letting out clutch in first gear from stop, more of the "clunck" though, stock shifter not for serious gear banging, wheels look a little nicer but need to be wider, the cargo net, lighter, ash tray/coin cup, and center vent adjusters appreciated, rewards driver to hit upper revs and wind it up, able to wind it more on street driving without going insanely fast, when breaking hard feels like stressing the brakes less, front fascia less severe, and tricolor tailights are signature items.

03: Faster, faster, faster, feels planted securely like there is a big block under that hood, better balance in turns makes one feel that if it breaks away it will be easier to recover, but gives feeling that serious twisties would be more work than in 01, grunt and pull of torque appreciated, imparts a "meet Mr. blue oval" to the bow ties out there, less hop, less clunk, more vibration starting off in first gear, clutch grabs close to floor making one cautious of what may happen with spirited gear shifting, shifter similar in capabilites to 01, second gear is a monster, SVT on tach appreciated, titanium on gauges look better in daylight, temp guage seems a little more responsive, better tires/width, under hood temps feel much hotter than 01 (may push limits of that 20w stuff more), bolster adjustment of seats are appreciated, high tech lights in spoiler. the overhead net appreciated, like the rear fascia with lower contrast, more dust on bumper after drives, looks stouter overall. painted/pivoting side mirrors a plus, side scoops a bit much, aero wipers noted as well.

Kudos to SVT on both. Summary for me would be to tweek suspension and tires on 01 and tweek exhaust/air flow on 03. The 01 makes me want to turn and the 03 makes me want to burn.

(sorry if this was too long)

Silver 03 Cobra

Here's one since I owned an 01 also.

01 vert with BBK LT headers, BBK o/r h-pipe, Bassani catback, BBK CAI, Steeda u/d pulleys, JMS chip, 4.10 gears - 305 rwhp and 310 rwt SAE. Appearance mods, KB springs, Cobra R's w GY 275 F1's, Saleen light bar. Total in mods $5K Probably near $3K of this was in engine mods for a parsley 30 rwhp.

03 coupe with JBA 1 5/8 headers, Bassani o/r x-pipe, Bassani catback, 2.93 pulley, JDM chip, cool air kit, 4.10's - 455 rwhp and 452 rwt SAE. Appearance mods, none. No need to lower, already has big shoes. Total in mods $2400.

Last edited by a moderator:

CWCobra

Established Member
I may be wrong, but my seat, which was WAAAY too hard when new, seems to be softening up a bit. Doesn't seem as confining as when brand new. Also, my dealer gave me an ashtray...handy to keep spare change, garage door opener, etc out of sight. I like it, especially with the spring lid. Keeps it closed even when rolling around in back floor board.
Later,
CW

ZXnVS

Established Member
I agree wholeheartedly on the spoiler, but I love the color-matched mirrors.

As for the stupid warnings all over the visors and seatbelts, I'm guessing that's mandated by the government. They have to protect us from ourselves, you know.

ArizonaSnake

Established Member
All those warnings for "kiddie" seats are just a continuation of the lack of personal responsibility syndrome.

They should include all the material in an owner's manual for which the buyer signs legal documentation indicating receipt.

When the vehicle is registered by a subsequent owner they must have an owner's manual to register.

Stop using the inside of the cars as bulletin boards.

:cuss:

Ok rant mode off.. <G>

Users who are viewing this thread