Optima Red Top Battery having peeps in here

Blown99GT

Forged and Blown
Established Member
I picked up a Optima Red top last night for my 00 GT, and as most people have said it doesnt fit in the tray properly, but my bigger concern is that it doesnt clamp down with that plastic block & screw. It tends to slide around and wobble a bit.

How did you guys get yours to stay firmly intact?

Thanks in advance.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
There should have been a small plastic clip that snaps on the bottom of the battery so it locks under the catch in the battery tray.

What group size is it? 75? 34/78?

Adapter looks like this:

m-ObJF8DLZguk1U7yITJGVg.jpg

Blown99GT

Forged and Blown
Established Member
Thanks dude, i will check that out when i get home. There was a plastic top that came on it and it had instruction and not sure what else but i will look. At least now i have some direction :rockon:

spike_africa

Established Member
I just made a nice metal bracket out of some spare metal I have. Fyi, my red top is 4 years old. It is starting to get weak on me on these cold mornings. Which is sad because I had a yellow top that lasted no shit 8 years. It was in my 99 F150 then was transfered over to this car when I traded the truck in. It ran in the mustang till 4 years ago when it just couldn't hold a charge anymore. The red top is much lighter and I figured from the use its supposed to handle it would be a better DD battery. The red top isn't looking so good right now.

Last edited:

Blown99GT

Forged and Blown
Established Member
I just made a nice metal bracket out of some spare metal I have. Fyi, my red top is 4 years old. It is starting to get weak on me on these cold mornings. Which is sad because I had a yellow top that lasted no shit 8 years. It was in my 99 F150 then was transfered over to this car when I traded the truck in. It ran in the mustang till 4 years ago when it just couldn't hold a charge anymore. The red top is much lighter and I figured from the use its supposed to handle it would be a better DD battery. The red top isn't looking so good right now.

well the red top has a 3 year warranty so at the end of the third year im just gonna bring it back to advanced auto and swap it out, then get another 3 year warranty out of it :banana:

01turbowolf

ford tech
Established Member

i wouldnt worry about it, the morning it was 5 degrees outside my 7 year old red top in my old chevy that sits for weeks at a time without ever throwing on a charger took 1 minute to heat up enough to turn the engine over, the red top doesnt just die like yellow tops do, they die a ridiculously slow and painful death, if you keep trying they usually build up more energy and start

spike_africa

Established Member
I had to get a jump from my jump box when we had a 35* morning last week. The red top just couldn't turn over. Granted the car sat for 3 days. But once I ran her, she was fine.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
well the red top has a 3 year warranty so at the end of the third year im just gonna bring it back to advanced auto and swap it out, then get another 3 year warranty out of it :banana:

Yeah good luck with that. I went from loving Optimas to now never giving them a dime again after getting screwed. Had a year and a half old one dead cell on me and got it swapped. Well the next one does the same thing just under 2 years later.

Told me to kick rocks since the warranty starts at initial purchase. Once those 3 years are gone no matter how many bad batteries you replace you only have 3 years total.

WutApex

Wut Apex!?!
Established Member
I've had really bad luck with Optimas - went through multiple ones. I'll never use them again. My 2 cents.

Blown99GT

Forged and Blown
Established Member
Well we dont get very cold in florida LOL, so cold start isnt much of an issue.
But i did find the clamp down bracket under the top that the battery came with so thanks for the replys for those who helped

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
Most of the time it's a pro-rated warrantee. Wait till the end and you'll get about 6 bucks towards a new battery..

Users who are viewing this thread