optimum springs for 04 vert

rsilver

Established Member
Hi guys, I have read the sticky and a lot of other posts regarding lowering/race springs. Most of the discussions have been on the coupes although there is a lot on Verts too. One thing that seems consistent is that the verts are not as stong as the coupes and flex a lot more. Thats why they used lower spring rates from the factory. the spring rates on the H&R',Eibachs, Steedas are pretty high, way higher than the coupe springs. What do you guys suggest for a Vert to go a little lower ride height and a little stiffer, but not so much that its too much spring for the car. I do not want to go to subframe connectors, so I am king of limited. I understand the H&R sports are too light and that most prefer the race series, but that seems too much for a Vert without subframes. I was thinking of the ford racing springs which are a lower rate and a mild drop. I appreciate all thoughts........bob

Last edited:

racebronco2

Established Member
Stock coupe springs might be what you want. If you trim the coils you can get the ride height just where you want it. The sports are going to be too low and the race springs might be to stiff. The eibachs might also be a good choice except the rear will be too high and you will need to trim the rear coils to give a good stance.

3Dglasses

4.6 Liter rice cooker
Established Member
Get a set of coupe springs cheap and spend the money on sub frame connectors. Put a stiff spring in a vert and you are asking for squeaks and rattles. IMHO

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
why the reason for not doing the subframes? i had my subframes welded in as the only mod i did that day and i can tell you the difference is night and day from those factory bolt in kiddy frames

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
do you understand how subframes work and what they do to the car?

no offense, but don't bother with springs unless you are going to do subframes.

If you are just trying to lower the car cut some stockers....don't bother upgrading to a progressive spring.

enjoy the wet noodle

rsilver

Established Member
All good points about the sub frames. I just wanted to be able to return it to stock as easy as possible. I have modified so many cars and when it comes time to sell, the more stock the better IMO. I have done sub frames on several F-body vert flexible flyers so I know what you guys mean. I just wanted to float the idea and see if there was compromise, but I guess not.

I looked at the stock SFC's and they are weak at best. What do you guys think about going to thicker wall 1.5X1 or 2X1 rectangular tubing, bending them to fit and just bolting them on to the stock location? I know welding is better, I know full length is better, I know, I know..... and I can grind off the welds if i ever want to take em out, but those 1X1 stock SFC's are almost worthless cause of the light guage and small size. The two bolt mounting points look pretty good though and given a stronger structural piece, it could make a signifigant difference. It just an Idea, and given I am looking for a compromise, it might be enough.......your thoughts are apprecited......bob

Last edited:

rsilver

Established Member
Ok, I been reading and searching and thinking about this for my vert in reference to the above posts.

My Goal: Slight drop, reasonable ride quality, slight handling improvement, functional for daily and long road trips.( its all a compromise)

What do you guys think about stock coupe springs, cut 1/2 coil all around, stock isos, stock coupe bilsteins all around? I would get a mild drop, have a much stiffer spring than the stock vert (600# vs 500 front, 600#vs470 rear) but not as much as the 700#+ rates of many of the aftermarket springs. I know I need to think about SFC's, but puttin that aside, and given my goals, is this gonna feel good at 100mph running straight down the hwy ? ( its fine now, just a little too high and a little too loose on the interstate sweepers) your thoughts are greatly appreciated................bob

anyone got some low mile coupe stuts and shocks they want to sell??

Last edited:

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Stock coupe springs, I'd cut 1/2 coil to start with. Good safe point.

Wouldn't bother with stock coupe Bilsteins, I'd go with Tokico Dspecs.

Fresh, stock rubber iso's will be fine.

The stock coupe setup is great all around for general use and I imagine it would be equally at home on a vert. It's not too stiff and not too soft; really wouldn't have it any other way. Very driver-friendly and enjoyable under most street driving conditions.

SpectorV

Established Member
I have full length weld in subframe connectors (only way to go) and H&r race springs 720front/rear rate and its great. No issues. Its about 15% stiffer than stock during normal riding to me (these are progressive keep in mind so the rate is not as firm unless you start to really push the spring down)

rsilver

Established Member
Thanks for the help guys.

SpectorV, your car looks great and you make a good point about the progressive rate springs and full length weld in SFC's. I guess I got a bad taste for progressive rate springs on various motorcycles I have owned which beat the sh** out of me, but its a different thing on a car. I will probably take it in steps and try out the coupe springs/shocks and see how it works and then go from there. Will post my experience down the road, just collecting parts now...........bob

plan b

hooters for looters
Established Member
Thanks for the help guys.

SpectorV, your car looks great and you make a good point about the progressive rate springs and full length weld in SFC's. I guess I got a bad taste for progressive rate springs on various motorcycles I have owned which beat the sh** out of me, but its a different thing on a car. I will probably take it in steps and try out the coupe springs/shocks and see how it works and then go from there. Will post my experience down the road, just collecting parts now...........bob

I have a set of h&r ss springs for a convertible for sale, $150 shipped.

rsilver

Established Member
fwiw, just an update. I bought used coupe springs and shocks with very low miles on em. Cut the springs 1/2 coil all around. Broke down and installed MM's new full length SFC's and welded em good. The 1/2 coil Lowered the car about 3/4 inches in the front and about the same in the rear, maybe a little less. It was all a compromise, the front is perfect, but the rear is still a little high but I don't scrape on speed bumps or anything else so far, the ride is very good and the handling is excellent for my style agressive long road trip touring. Rattles gone ( I know, you guys told me so). I would cut the rear springs maybe another 1/4 but I can really feel the rear suspension working on some of the twisty's I drive, so don't want to lose any more suspension travel for street driving and will leave it alone. Great comments from all, you guys really helped me on this project. thanks again...........bob

Now I need a roll bar or need to slow down.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread