Order Boss main bearings..Help please

BigmotoXer

Established Member
There are reasons I'm wanting to go Factory main bearings, and wanting to go Boss Mains at that, but they sell 'em in A, B, C, D, E, F. ...that a look= CRANKSHAFT & BEARINGS for 2012 Ford Mustang
I know at one time back in the day you needed the casting of your block to order A,B, or C ...but the A-F is probably a simple thing that's about to make me look retarded but I just didn't understand why they don't sell the GT main bearings this way,...anyway just wanna be sure I got this right in my head because at the present i don't

INEEDA_TERMI

Established Member
NOTICE: During engine repair procedures, cleanliness is extremely important. Any foreign material, including any material created while cleaning gasket surfaces, that enters the oil passages, coolant passages or the oil pan, can cause engine failure.

NOTICE: During engine assembly do not allow the piston connecting rods to come in contact with the piston cooling jets or engine damage may occur.

NOTE: During engine assembly it may become necessary to check bearing clearances and end play. For additional information, refer to Section 303-00.

NOTE: The Boss® 302 requires Motorcraft® SAE 5W-50 Full Synthetic Motor Oil, all other 5.0L (4V) engines require Motorcraft® SAE 5W-20 Premium Synthetic Blend Motor Oil.

Record the main bearing code found on the front of the engine block.

Record the main bearing code found on the rear of the crankshaft.

NOTE: This chart is for selecting main bearings 1 and 5 only, the remaining bearings will be selected using a different chart in the next step.

N0124043_580_zps9e5e9ff6.gif

Using the data recorded earlier and the Bearing Select Fit Chart, Standard Bearings, determine the required bearing grade for main bearings 1 and 5.
Read the first letter of the engine block main bearing code and the first letter of the crankshaft main bearing code.
Read down the column below the engine block main bearing code letter and across the row next to the crankshaft main bearing code letter, until the 2 intersect. This is the required bearing grade(s) for the No. 1 crankshaft main bearing.
As an example, if the engine block code letter is "F" and the crankshaft code letter is "P", the correct bearing grade for this main bearing is a "1" for the upper bearing and a "2" for the lower bearing.
Repeat the above steps using the fifth letter of the block and crankshaft codes to select the No. 5 bearing.

NOTE: This chart is for selecting main bearings 2, 3 and 4 only.

N0124042_580_zpsc717d588.gif

Using the data recorded earlier and the Bearing Select Fit Chart, Standard Bearings, determine the required bearing grade for main bearings 2, 3 and 4.
Read the second letter of the engine block main bearing code and the second letter of the crankshaft main bearing code.
Read down the column below the engine block main bearing code letter and across the row next to the crankshaft main bearing code letter, until the 2 intersect. This is the required bearing grade(s) for the No. 2 crankshaft main bearing.
As an example, if the engine block code letter is "F" and the crankshaft code letter is "P", the correct bearing grade for this main bearing is a "1" for the upper bearing and a "2" for the lower bearing.
Repeat the above steps using the third and fourth letters of the block and crankshaft codes to select the No. 3 and No. 4 bearings.

Last edited:

pufferfish

Established Member
^^^this!
It's cool that ford actually blueprints the blocks and cranks for you and size bearings for individual journals.

BigmotoXer

Established Member
INEEDA_TERMI, wow. So that's some valuable/awesome info that has just been archived in my head...forever. Thanks dood. My Block= JMLMLG2 ...My Crank= NOPONC6...
I came up with= (#1 main= 2/2) (#5 main= 2/2) (#2 main= 2/2) (#3 main 1/2) (#4 main 2/2). Would someone verify my homework B4 I order. I mean if I got this right from, CRANKSHAFT & BEARINGS for 2012 Ford Mustang ,then I'd be ordering (#1 main= B-B), (#5 main= E-E),,, (#2 main= B-B), (#3 main= A-B), (#4 main= B-B). Correct? o_O ...(this is amazing btw, I knew there was a puzzle to this, thanks again!)

BigmotoXer

Established Member
INEEDA_TERMI, wow. So that's some valuable/awesome info that has just been archived in my head...forever. Thanks dood. My Block= JMLMLG2 ...My Crank= NOPONC6...
I came up with= (#1 main= 2/2) (#5 main= 2/2) (#2 main= 2/2) (#3 main 1/2) (#4 main 2/2). Would someone verify my homework B4 I order. I mean if I got this right from, CRANKSHAFT & BEARINGS for 2012 Ford Mustang ,then I'd be ordering (#1 main= B-B), (#5 main= E-E),,, (#2 main= B-B), (#3 main= A-B), (#4 main= B-B). Correct? o_O ...(this is amazing btw, I knew there was a puzzle to this, thanks again!)

...but am I right? :bowdown:

INEEDA_TERMI

Established Member
I will let someone respond who has done the process but following the instructions all you should have to do is follow the chart. Do you have a GT or Boss block? There are different charts for GT block and crank, and boss block and crank. Once you mix and match, i don't know which one over rules the other. Let me know if you need the GT chart also.

INEEDA_TERMI

Established Member

Based on the chart and ford's example, you have the correct numbers. As far as ordering i don't know how they translate as I've never looked at the order sheet for bearing code translation. Call ford and see if they will look them up for you and verify. Again, boss and GT block and crank are different, there are two different charts for those. Let me know if you need it. You are also correct about this being the most critical part of your engine, so double check your work and order once! Good luck and glad i could help.

BigmotoXer

Established Member
Yes I have 2011 GT. GT block & crank...and yes I'd love to see the GT chart if you have it. ..and yes I wish someone would chime in here ...starting to feel like I've either asked a wrong question/topic or no one actually knows

BigmotoXer

Established Member
Or like stang910 said/did= measure then call Ford tech n go that route...Or jus order some Clevites n jam 'em in...but I'd really like to know a definate on the Boss v/s GT chart/charts

pufferfish

Established Member
you don't need the gt chart since you want boss bearings. you aren't getting responses because nobody builds these from the ford parts bins. all the aftermarket builders use a standard clevite bearing set. as your luck would have it, I just built a parts bin boss engine and have most of the part numbers I used to build it.

for the 1-4 journals, a 1/2 would require a cu7z-6d309-a and a cu7z-6d309-b (-a on the top half and -b on the bottom half). a 2/2 would require just a cu7z-6d309-b. for the #5 journal, the 2/2 would be cu7z-6d309-e. don't forget, you also need the thrust bearing: al3z-6a341-a.

let me know if you need help with any other part numbers.

BigmotoXer

Established Member
Engine bearings are another critical area of concentration, and here, we spoke with proprietor Justin Burcham of JPC Racing. The former NMRA Factory Stock and Real Street competitor has years of experience making Coyote and Modular engines go fast. Burcham has found through his testing that the OEM Ford Boss 302 engine bearings work best in the Coyote engine. These bearings are hardened and fit right into the factory main bores with no extra work. In addition, we used a set of Clevite connecting rod bearings, part number CB-1442HXK, which are coated and slightly oversized making them optimum for our application.

INEEDA_TERMI

Established Member
Engine bearings are another critical area of concentration, and here, we spoke with proprietor Justin Burcham of JPC Racing. The former NMRA Factory Stock and Real Street competitor has years of experience making Coyote and Modular engines go fast. Burcham has found through his testing that the OEM Ford Boss 302 engine bearings work best in the Coyote engine. These bearings are hardened and fit right into the factory main bores with no extra work. In addition, we used a set of Clevite connecting rod bearings, part number CB-1442HXK, which are coated and slightly oversized making them optimum for our application.

So do you still want the GT chart or you have what you need now? What did Justin say?

stonecoldtx

Established Member
I'm sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I have a 2013 GT engine that I am making into an Aluminator XS clone; I have located and ordered the correct Mahle pistons with pins and rings, and Manley rods, and I know it will require balancing, and so need some information related to the stock main bearings vs. Clevites, before I can place my order:

1.) I know that both the GT and the BOSS cranks are forged steel, but is there any reason for using one over the other? As far as I'm aware, the only difference between them is the factory balance, and since I'll be having the new rotating assembly balanced, that would be a moot point, but there may be other differences that I'm not aware of, and I need to find out of anybody knows if there ARE any other differences that would make the use of the BOSS crank advantageous rather than using the GT crank.
2.) Is there any advantage of using the OEM main bearings vs. Clevite, and if so, what would those advantages be?
3.) What is the main bearing clearance and thrust end play figures for both engines?

pufferfish

Established Member
1) no difference other than balancing. and as far as i know, these forged cranks are used in everything but stroker builds.
2) OEM main bearings allow you to select fit down to about .0002" tolerance and use the ford chart to select them for each journal without having to blueprint. clevites will be one size and you will be down to only about .001" tolerance. for the rod bearings, there is no OE select fit, so get what you want.
3) i don't recall the OE specs. maybe someone else can chime in on that one?

stonecoldtx

Established Member
1) no difference other than balancing. and as far as i know, these forged cranks are used in everything but stroker builds.
2) OEM main bearings allow you to select fit down to about .0002" tolerance and use the ford chart to select them for each journal without having to blueprint. clevites will be one size and you will be down to only about .001" tolerance. for the rod bearings, there is no OE select fit, so get what you want.
3) i don't recall the OE specs. maybe someone else can chime in on that one?

Thanks, I appreciate the info! I guess I'll wait to order the main bearings until I've got the engine torn down far enough to record the codes off the block and the crank, and to make sure the crank doesn't need any work on it . . .

Are there really different part numbers for the GT bearings vs. the BOSS bearings?

If there are, because I am working toward having the same bearing clearances as the BOSS engine, should I be using the BOSS chart for the codes that are on the block and the crank, even though it's a GT crank?

I want to ensure that I have the best bearings and the right clearances . . .

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

DrTriton

Established Member
Yes the Boss bearings are an upgraded bearing and have unique part#'s. The prefix for them is CR3Z vs the stock GT bearings which have a BR3Z prefix.

Yes you use the Boss chart for the Boss bearings - doesnt matter which crank you have.

The rod bearings are also upgraded on the Boss so be sure to order those as well. There is only one size.

stonecoldtx

Established Member
Yes the Boss bearings are an upgraded bearing and have unique part#'s. The prefix for them is CR3Z vs the stock GT bearings which have a BR3Z prefix.

Yes you use the Boss chart for the Boss bearings - doesnt matter which crank you have.

The rod bearings are also upgraded on the Boss so be sure to order those as well. There is only one size.

Thanks for the additional information; do you know if there are any differences in the clearances between the GT bearings and the Boss bearings?

DrTriton

Established Member
If your crank hasn't been turned down and you follow the Boss charts posted above, you will get the main bearing clearance required. Clearances are the same for both engines.

Users who are viewing this thread