Ordered handheld.... couple of questions regarding previous tune

97cobra1

Established Member
I got my sct haldheld in the mail the other day, connected it to the car and i'm getting a couple of errors, the tuner won't connect to the ecm.

The guy i bought the car from mentioned it was tuned, and from what little i've read (very little) i'm gonna have to take the car to ford to reflash the computer to stock before i can upload anything off the device?

Is that correct? Or is there a way around it? I'm unsure of how it was tuned, if it was on a dyno or canned tune or even if it matters.

I actually ordered it to change the fan settings because i changed the thermostat, not realizing i wouldnt be able to even do that.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Pull the passenger side kick panel and see if there's a chip in in the computer. The hand helds can't connect if there's a chip in the computer.

01yellercobra

Established Member
There's a port on the top of the case. It'll be plugged in there. It's the only other opening besides the one for the wire harness.

97cobra1

Established Member
Pulled the kick panel, but i really have no idea what i'm looking for. I'm looking at the computer but there really doens't seem to be a way to get to it... Do i need to pull it out (not disconnect it, but pull it out of the panel area?) to see where the chip would plug in?

01yellercobra

Established Member
Yes. If the bolt is still there it's a 5.5mm in the lower right corner. You need to pull the ECU out of the bracket that holds it to see where the chip would plug in.

Last edited:

97cobra1

Established Member
Just got around to pulling it to check, and there was a chip in there. Yanked it out and uploaded my tune.

Greatly appreciate the help on this man, i had a boatload of minor issues rise all at once this weekend and i was ready to blow the effing car up. All resolved now i believe.

Users who are viewing this thread