Ordering time frame weeks?

Tcbteng

Established Member
I have given a down payment and begun the ordering process with a dealer about a week ago. I emailed and asked for status and was told they will not even have a status until the end of June. Normal? I have only submitted the down payment, given specs of veh I want and asked to order, nothing else.

cobra_bill

Established Member
They should be able to give you a DORA in less than a week. If they can't give you one then they probably have not even ordered the car. I went through this with the first dealer I went too and after 5 weeks I got my deposit back and went to another dealer. The new dealer ordered the car right then and I had a DORA in 2 days.

Jryan3

Established Member
The DORA is only an acknowledgement from Ford that they have received the vehicle order. It is a significant step and it ensures that the dealer submitted/ ford is processing the exact order with the options you have chosen.. However, it does not mean that the dealer has the allocation for your order. To say the least, it is a VERY complicated process that depends on a bunch of different variables (dealer allocation, sales history, region, zone reps, etc..). The most important thing that you need to do, is make sure that your dealer has the allocation to order the car. You need to specifically ask them if they have a CURRENT allocation left to order a '13 Shelby (depending on the dealer, they could have anywhere from 1 allocation to 12 being the most i have heard of for the '13 thus far, IF they are participating in the svt program). If they don't have the allocation, your order will sit in the system and never get pulled. Some dealers will take your deposit and "over-sell" their allocation, only to eventually break the bad news that they can't order your car.

BOD89LX

Established Member
Ordering time frame is 2-5 months at this point in the game.

Bobbyblaze

Established Member
At this point I don't believe anything the dealer says. All I know is I don't have my ordered car and its been 6 weeks for me with no movement in the order.

Tcbteng

Established Member
All good info. I have specifically asked if the dealer has an allocation. They generalize and say "yes, it's all good." Thus far it's been good. The only thing that seemed odd to me was that I placed a $1000 down payment 3-4 days ago and asked what the status is and was told they will know nothing until the end of the month. I emailed specifically asking about a DORA. We'll see.

Add Name Here

Hook Damn It Hook
Established Member
I'm in the same boat. I gave my deposit and printout of car with options to my dealer a few days ago. i had a voice mail from him that said, just want to give you an update, everything looks good. I don't have a VIN yet but I'll call you as soon as I do. This is after the last three weeks of telling me he didn't think they (Ford the company, not the dealership) were taking anymore orders. He said give me the deposit and I'll place the order and we'll see what happens. I'm trying not to get very excited but if this is true, when could I actually be siting in it giggling like a school girl? 2-5 months like BOD89LX said? Probably closer to 5

Jryan3

Established Member
I'm in the same boat. I gave my deposit and printout of car with options to my dealer a few days ago. i had a voice mail from him that said, just want to give you an update, everything looks good. I don't have a VIN yet but I'll call you as soon as I do. This is after the last three weeks of telling me he didn't think they (Ford the company, not the dealership) were taking anymore orders. He said give me the deposit and I'll place the order and we'll see what happens. I'm trying not to get very excited but if this is true, when could I actually be siting in it giggling like a school girl? 2-5 months like BOD89LX said? Probably closer to 5

Man, there are so many variables. It sounds to me like your dealer does not have the allocation for the car by saying "they weren't taking any more orders", and "give me the deposit and we'll see what happens".. That just does not sound promising to me, and if I were you I would find a dealer that KNOWS they have the allocation. The last thing I would want to do is wait around for the "possibility" of a car being built, only to have it never come to fruition..

Add Name Here

Hook Damn It Hook
Established Member
Man, there are so many variables. It sounds to me like your dealer does not have the allocation for the car by saying "they weren't taking any more orders", and "give me the deposit and we'll see what happens".. That just does not sound promising to me, and if I were you I would find a dealer that KNOWS they have the allocation. The last thing I would want to do is wait around for the "possibility" of a car being built, only to have it never come to fruition..

They had 3 allocations two have been ordered for the shop and the sales manager apparently got the 3rd. That why he was saying he didn't think he could order anymore, but now says it looks good? Man I don't want to get my hopes up but at the same time I'm basically waving $67k in there face and nobody wants it :( I know I know, I'm just upset with myself for not putting the deposit down back in Feb! I'm calling him today to get the skinny.

Last edited:

reason4treason

Established Member
They had 3 allocations two have been ordered for the shop and the sales manager apparently got the 3rd. That why he was saying he didn't think he could order anymore, but now says it looks good? Man I don't want to get my hopes up but at the same time I'm basically waving $67k in there face and nobody wants it :( I know I know, I'm just upset with myself for not putting the deposit down back in Feb!

what do you mean "ordered for the shop"? They're just gonna put 'em on the sales floor? or do you mean that the first two allocations have been used by two customers who each placed an order?

if you've got your $$$ ready to roll, the call-the-800-Ford-Customer-Service-number-and-have-'em-do-a-search-for-you route is sounding like a more and more and more like a viable route for a lot of people.

BTW: of the first two allocations 'allegedly' sold, have any been built/delivered?

And why do I keep hearing that damn Cher song "Gypsies, Tramps, and Thieves" playing in the background so often? :dw:

Add Name Here

Hook Damn It Hook
Established Member
what do you mean "ordered for the shop"? They're just gonna put 'em on the sales floor? or do you mean that the first two allocations have been used by two customers who each placed an order?

if you've got your $$$ ready to roll, the call-the-800-Ford-Customer-Service-number-and-have-'em-do-a-search-for-you route is sounding like a more and more and more like a viable route for a lot of people.

BTW: of the first two allocations 'allegedly' sold, have any been built/delivered?

And why do I keep hearing that damn Cher song "Gypsies, Tramps, and Thieves" playing in the background so often? :dw:

the 2 that were ordered were ordered as base with navigation to sell on the lot. One is red and the other is grabbed blue. I'm not sure if they have been built but I'm positive they have not been delivered.

Add Name Here

Hook Damn It Hook
Established Member
Ok I just got off the phone with my dealer. He said I got lucky because when he went to place my order they had just received an extra allocation!!!! he said now we are basically just waiting for the VIN. he claims that if everything goes well which it should, I should have my VIN by the end of the month and should have the car by September! I'm still not trying to get too excited as shit does happen but........ :dancenana: :rockon:

Add Name Here

Hook Damn It Hook
Established Member
I just got a text message from my dealer telling me he just received a partial vin number for my order. I'm just trying to find out if there is an estimated time frame from getting a partial vin number? he said I should have the car by september but also said he would not get the vin number until maybe the end of july. sorry if this is common knowledge but I've never ordered a brand new vehicle and I'm super excited!!!!! Thanks

CAPTAIN JACK

Established Member
since these units are built based on Ford's " quarterly " scheduling, they start with cars
being built as an example: 3 units, 1 first quarter, 1 second quarter, 1 third quarter. We
got 3 allocations and one is on it's way then comes the waiting game, all were pre-sold
at msrp.

VaporDude

Established Member
I just got a text message from my dealer telling me he just received a partial vin number for my order. I'm just trying to find out if there is an estimated time frame from getting a partial vin number? he said I should have the car by september but also said he would not get the vin number until maybe the end of july. sorry if this is common knowledge but I've never ordered a brand new vehicle and I'm super excited!!!!! Thanks

A partial VIN is normally the year, make, model and few other parameters that are known. The only part that is not known is the sequence number. The dealer can have a partial VIN in no time at all but the actual VIN will be assigned when Ford knows what sequence your car will be.

Sparko

Established Member
since these units are built based on Ford's " quarterly " scheduling, they start with cars
being built as an example: 3 units, 1 first quarter, 1 second quarter, 1 third quarter. We
got 3 allocations and one is on it's way then comes the waiting game, all were pre-sold
at msrp.

That is exactly what my dealer in NJ told me...they get 1 car a quarter and I'm the 2nd...even though the DORA says 4/5 order date

Add Name Here

Hook Damn It Hook
Established Member
I went to talk to my guy after work today and everything looks good. I got a copy of my DORA and the 2013 brochure. Now we wait.............

Users who are viewing this thread