Origin of the term "Terminator"?

Grunnsetning

Established Member
I got away from cars/racing for a few years when the terminators were released, so I must ask where did the name terminator come from?
I ask because i've seen some say SVT codenamed it that and i've also seen where enthusiasts came up with the nick name.

Last edited:

VincodeY

Established Member
it was its codename during development. It was made to "terminate" the competetion.

VincodeY

Established Member
take off the black plastic on the side scoops...says it there too. Buy the book, Iron fist, lead foot. You can read it in one sitting and its full of info like that stated above.

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member
My car had Terminator printed on a sticker on a piece of plastic behind the center console and behind the rear bumper

Quick Strike

Established Member
There is a terminator label under the front somewhere as well. I remember rolling under it on my creeper.

mtb01

Established Member
Found it when I put a CDC light bar. Took out the back seat and found my build sheet and it said terminator.:rockon:

Ray Hilton

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I was going through some old posts and came across this one. I get this question from a lot of my non gear-head friends when they see my license plate which reads, TERMIN8R.
I think all the previous answers are good and we all have evidence of the fact that these cars were in fact code named Terminator. However I think some additional explanation is in order.
Mustangs and the F-body cars from GM (Camaro and Firbird) have always had a fierce rivalry. There have been times over the years when our cars (stock vs stock) have been on the winning end and the loosing end of that rivalry. When Ford learned that 2002 would be the last year for the F-body (until it's recent come back) it decided that it would give the slower F-body cars (the supercharged Terminators had no problem dispatching a 2002 F-body) a final send off into oblivion. The '03s actually came on the market in '02 so they were available just in time to effectively "Terminate" their long time rivals the Camaro and Firebird when their production ended that same year. Anyone who has raced against a stock 2002 F-body can attest to the Terminator's ability, even in stock form, to pull a couple of car lengths or more in many cases on it's soon to be dead rivals from the Generals camp. I believe that is where the actual name Terminator came from.
Ray H.

SIr RicCuS

Orange County Horsepower
Established Member
It's because Arnold Schwarzenegger designed them back in 1985 (after the first Terminator film was made) and then buried the paper holding the design to what will be the greatest car ever produced in a time capsule to be discovered later by Ford/SVT engineers.

Users who are viewing this thread