Original spec tires - 95R

JoeAsheville

Asheville NC-Bohemian Wonderland
Established Member
Doc mentioned that the BFGs on #181 are getting a little long in the tooth, as they haven't been produced in the 255 width for a while. A mechanic dated the tires and found they were around 5 years old. They do still stick well and have a good amount of tread left, but #181 is definitely not a show car and I'm interested in tires that are more appropriate for the 9 inch rim width.

Is anyone interested in a set of 255/40ZR-17 original spec BFGs for their show car or restoration project? If not, I'll just wear 'em out.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Joe,
The original tires were 255/45 ZR-17 Goodrich Comp T/A. I have some of the last made which are dated March 2000. The date is coded after the DOT imprint.

They originals are good for matching one or more tires to an original set. I am sure that someone would like to have one or more. I keep 4 mounted on the original wheels for the next guy that owns my car. I don't plan to actually use them to wear off the sticker.

I am currently using a recent 245/45-17 which was readily available. Those are over 5 years old.:-D :rolleyes:

JoeAsheville

Established Member
Interesting...I may have the size incorrect (aspect ratio), but they are definitely BFG Comp T/As. They handle very well for 10 year old tires, if that's the case. The guy actually peered at the date codes and said 2011. I might have to decipher them for myself and add a pic or 2.

JoeAsheville

Established Member
According to the date code on the tires, they were manufactured the 45th week of 2011...so, practically 2012.

My bad though...They are BFG g force super sport A/S. Guess I'll just wear them out. They stick fine.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread