"Oringing" the heads.

Jdaniel

THE DARK SIDE MOD
Established Member
Have you guys ever heard of sending the heads sent off to a machine shop and having a grove cut in them for an oring to set. I currently have a blown head gasket(s) and about to get them fixed. They mentioned this technique and said that a lot of nitrous and high boost motors do this. Thanks a lot fellows.

1svtfan

Shaken, not stirred
Established Member
Yeah, instead of o-ringing the block, they cut a grove in the heads for a "lockring" head gasket. Felpro came out with them for the 5.0's, and they were a godsend since the heads move quite a bit under boost. Couldn't hurt on the Cobra's I suppose... :thumbsup:

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
mod motors dont lose head gaskets like a 5.0 does. its normally not needed on a mod motor.

normally what acts like a blown gasket is actually a lifted/warped head. with only 600hp i would think thats more likely than the gasket actually losing its seal.

WDW MKR

Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
mod motors dont lose head gaskets like a 5.0 does. its normally not needed on a mod motor.

normally what acts like a blown gasket is actually a lifted/warped head. with only 600hp i would think thats more likely than the gasket actually losing its seal.

+1 The stock MLS gaskets hold very well, so long as you have a true deck/head surface with the proper finish. No need to try o-rings, lockrings or copper gaskets.

Users who are viewing this thread