OSHA questions.

Great Asp

Established Member
Premium Member
OP, I do not know what you do for a living, but the company is being petty by removing refrigerators for any reason without giving you an alternative.

Right now, if you have a technical skill, you could go get another job that will be a guarantee making more money. There is a huge shortage of skilled labor and it's only going to get bigger.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
OSHA interpretation letter on mini fridge(s) in the work place:

This sentence will end your fridge debate quite easily:
Section 1910.141(g)(4) provides:
No food or beverages shall be stored in toilet rooms or in an area exposed to a toxic material.
Most of the chemicals you use at an auto repair shop are considered toxic to humans. Brake clean, anti-freeze/coolant, motor/transmission/diff oil(s)....etc. I would also guess maybe lead, asbestos, benzene, mercury, TCE's or other stuff is sitting around due to lack of cleaning if the shop is an older place without much maintenance over the years.

"Section 1910.141(a) defines "toxic material" as "a material in concentration or amount which exceeds the applicable limit established by a standard, such as 1910.1000 and 1910.1001 or, in the absence of an applicable standard, which is of such toxicity so as to constitute a recognized hazard that is causing or is likely to cause death or serious physical harm."

The employer is to test the dust around your work area. If anything comes back labeled as over the PEL limit then you are hosed and they can tell you to remove the fridge.

*I have quite a few stories from the construction industry on toxic jobsites and buildings that would make you really want to know what is in that dust around your fridge. I know most don't want to be inconvenienced but it could really be impactful to your long term health knowing what is around your fridge and what you drag into the lunch room with you on your clothes and boots.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I've got 30 years of construction stories too, all nasty. Somebody has an issue with a fridge that is favored by those getting the job done....the issue got mitigated, hard way or otherwise. And I'm not talking about giving up the fridge.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
In the world I was in that was how you stopped progress, not the other way around. When OSHA showed, and we were always warned when they were coming, everything was shut down, cords were rolled up and power tools all got locked up. We'd take a break and made it clear without uttering a word, to not be approached.

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
It's amazing when someone wants something done and done now, just claim it's unsafe or OSHA.

22 years of being in Industrial Maintenance leads me to making that statement.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
Exactly! Our first meeting when the issue was brought up about the refrigerators, it was said that we were putting too big of an electrical load on the building and we called bullshit on that. Now it’s an OSHA issue, but whenever I’ve brought serious safety issues up I get marked as a trouble maker.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Exactly! Our first meeting when the issue was brought up about the refrigerators, it was said that we were putting too big of an electrical load on the building and we called bullshit on that. Now it’s an OSHA issue, but whenever I’ve brought serious safety issues up I get marked as a trouble maker.

Too big of an electrical load...which can be easily disproved, so let's move on to the next B.S. statement to get our way. Ridiculous man! Just ridiculous what these people will do to get their way...

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

JaCobro

Luke 10:19
Established Member
Premium Member
10 years, and now it’s a problem. I call BS. If you guys can stick together and say no. What are they gonna do fire everyone.

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
10 years, and now it’s a problem. I call BS. If you guys can stick together and say no. What are they gonna do fire everyone.
I hope we all can but I was a lone wolf during the covid mess at the shop. I also heard that they were going to fire some maintenance guys who refused to hang up rainbow flags downtown.
Gotta start making some more room on the electrical grid for you know whats
Exactly, they are pushing them hard at work.

Users who are viewing this thread