out of state parking ticket

SaleenGT2001

Established Member
i got a ticket on my wifes car for not having a "resident tag" and parking at train station (yes i paid the $5 to park and have the receipt and parked where the guy in the booth told me to) the ticket is BS in my opinion and i clearly tried to do things the right way by paying for the spot. the ticket is in NJ and i live in NC. i will not be visiting NJ on this car again. what will happen if i just dont pay the ticket? they want to charge close to $100 for the ticket and the only info they have is the color of the car and plate number. i'm thinking about just paying $15 for a new tag when i get home and forget about the whole thing

NEp8ntballer

Established Member
is the ticket issued by a city/state/municipality? Was this private parking or city run paid parking? Depending on who issued it I'd forget all abaout it. I have a buddy that failed to pay a speeding ticket so he's no longer allowed in Kansas. Well he's still allowed but he's not allowed to drive there and could be placed under arrest. His home state doesn't honor the warrant and KS lacks the authority to have his home state suspend his license. He even asked the officer what would happen if he didn't pay and after hearing the officer describe that he'd be wanted for arrest if he came back into KS said something to the effect of, 'well I'm never coming back here again!'

SaleenGT2001

Established Member
It was issued by a municipality. I plan on calling today to see if I can fight it and if not I will just leave and forget it

ModularFan

Established Member
It was issued by a municipality. I plan on calling today to see if I can fight it and if not I will just leave and forget it

I'd pay it and be done with it. Its a no point violation. And even if you do get a new tag, you'd still be obligated to pay the ticket. A warrant could be issued to you as well in the state of NJ.

Last edited:

pokerpoison

Established Member
If NJ is like some states they also could place the amount of the fine on the car owners credit report. California does that as well as a few others. I think you would be much better off just paying the ticket since it was issued by the municipality unless you want to fight it.

SaleenGT2001

Established Member
i think my plate was stolen while i was on vacation and someone drove with it to NJ while i was in the bahamas :) new plate is just $15

SaleenGT2001

Established Member
Just pay the ticket dude. :nonono:

Way to accept responsibility.

if it was because of me doing something wrong i would. i followed what the person behind the sales counter told me to do word for word. i did what i thought was correct, thats why i have an issue paying it

LS2GTO

Established Member
I'd pay it and be done with it.

Just pay the ticket dude.

Way to accept responsibility.

Why would he have to pay a ticket that clearly was a mistake? And accept what responsibility when he apparently didn't do anything wrong/illegal?

Unless there is more to the story, I would not bother but at least mail in or call pleading your case and showing proof you paid for that spot andw as parked there legally.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
if it was because of me doing something wrong i would. i followed what the person behind the sales counter told me to do word for word. i did what i thought was correct, thats why i have an issue paying it

Why would he have to pay a ticket that clearly was a mistake? And accept what responsibility when he apparently didn't do anything wrong/illegal?

Unless there is more to the story, I would not bother but at least mail in or call pleading your case and showing proof you paid for that spot andw as parked there legally.

So there is no way that OP just misunderstood what he was told? Clearly he was unfamiliar with the process in the first place.

Whether he was given bad information or misunderstood, he will be the one negatively effected. There are times when you just have to take care of business, this is one of those times.

Woody6799

Established Member
I agree that you should pay it or research what you need to do to have it dropped or lowered but NJ will not file a lien against your car or credit. The issuing court will simple file a warrant for your arrest against the vehicle itself, not the RO bc they cannot state the RO was the driver. Even if there is video etc things do not go that far. Further, NJ will not extradite or anything bc it is a minor traffic charge and not a criminal charge. If you drive in NJ again just be prepared to be pulled over and possibly, yes... possibly... get arrested. If you choose not to pay it it will just sit idle in the system.

Sonic 03 Cobra

Yes, that's a 2011
Established Member
For a $100 fine, what's the point in not doing the 'right' thing? Either call the municipality and find out what is involved to contest the ticket, or just pay it. Years ago I got a parking ticket in Canada, similar situation. And even though I lived in PA at the time I still pulled out the checkbook and paid. Why? Because I might, just might want to visit Canada again. And fighting it just wasn't worth the effort.

If you live in SE NY, the probability that you will be in NJ again is fairly high so just pay the damn thing or contest it. Ignoring it is just asking for trouble.

x275_eric

Established Member
i think they should quit giving out dumb tickets like this so people dont have to go through all this pain just for a stupid 20 or less dollar ticket. whats this world coming to. thats like saying let me pay $5 to stand here lol! bunch a retards if u ask me.

odin673

Established Member
Contest the ticket. Send a letter with a copy of the ticket and your receipt. Don't become a contributor to the municipality's underfunded pension. You can beat it.

Users who are viewing this thread