Out the door $$$ for a '03

Sonic03

Alaskan Assasin
Established Member
My girlfriend is trying to buy a new Sonic Blue 2003 Lightning....the msrp is like $33,400....We went down to put her name on the Sonic Blue that is coming in the said that the best they could do was $31,400. He said $29,600 was the factory price and he added on $1800 markup. Is this fair? I would like it to be more around $29,000.

Thoughts, comments, experience with a 2003 purchase?

Thanks,

Brian:beer:

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
you wont find it for any cheaper than that.....thing is, if you dont pay that, someone else will glady pay it.

bouncer18

Established Member
ive seen them go for about 29650
that 1800 markup is bullshit
offer him at MOST 30,000 with a check in your hand

callaway95

Established Member
I would grab it at that price...... I paid full sticker here in Vegas, but not the $4500 mark-up that was listed next to it...

my sticker read (33,400 + $4500 limited production value = $37,900)...... every dealer here has them marked-up well over sticker.

Fist time i ever paid full sticker, but i like it!

Tundra

Established Member
true, I have talke with Brian's girlfriend....she could pay for it outright or finace it, she is better off not paying intrest...but of course they get a smaller piece of the pie.

electricstorm

Established Member
I jumped on top of mine fast.
I saw it get rolled out of the showroom and it was black, it was sunny, and damn -
I sold a shitload of my long term investment stocks, and had the truck an hour later.
Basically, if I were you, I'd keep talking.
Try to get quotes on a sonic blue from around the country, and walk in and say "From here I got this pricve, this price, and this price, but I'd much rather buy it from you if you can undercut the price or even match it"
Maybe talk to Tommy @ American ford?

crazy4ink

Extreme Ratchet Abuser
Established Member
I got my Sonic Blue '03 for about $36,000 but that was title, tax, tags, paint protection, interior protection, LoJack and 7 yr 100,000 mile warranty.

Tundra

Established Member
Originally posted by crazy4ink
I got my Sonic Blue '03 for about $36,000 but that was title, tax, tags, paint protection, interior protection, LoJack and 7 yr 100,000 mile warranty.

Same thing with my '99.

Just an advisory caution, I've got the 7k,100k mile warranty and its a joke. Here's a little story:

July 21, 2002, Sunday

Fuel pump fails, gets towed to dealer. The next day I am already arguing because they think I don't have a warranty. Heh, well they dont put warranty info in the system. Then they say they wont look at the truck until I pay them to, well it says on the dotted line to look then charge. Damage report says fuel pump failed, gonna talk to warranty people.

July 24, 2002, Wednesday

Warranty people say replace fuel pump. Dealer says they won't replace pump without purchase and installation of fuel filter. I ask why and they say the fuel pump caused it to fail (Mary my service writer from Cal Worthington Ford in Anchorage Alaska said broken plastic peices contaminated the filter). Pump is on its way, filters are in stock.

I literally had to show the ***** the contract that says if a part fails under warranty and causes other parts to break, then they have to repair other broken parts too (line item e if I remember right). By this time I am on a first name basis with the warranty clowns in Atlanta. They said the cause of the fuel pump failure was electrical and couldn't possibly have blown apart. Haha, knowledge is power baby. So I call my serivce ***** back and tell that someone is trying to pull a fast one and I want to know who (I know its her). She then tells me that she will call the warranty clowns again.

July 25

The service ***** said she will do it only if I can provide proof that I changed it per regular maintenance. I call the warranty people back and they said nothing about a fuel filter was mentioned in the first place, and the service ***** only called one time total. I had her by the balls. :gt:

What the service writer should have known is that I've also got a maintenance contract that says any dealer in the country to perform regular maintenance for the first 50k miles. I had Cal do all the maintenance since 15k miles. (Failed at 43k) I told her to get it straightened out, and that she should have the records.

July 26, Friday

Parts came in, and she is "waiting for approval" (its a green light per warranty people and has been for a week).

July 29, 2002 Monday

Approved for work, but after tear down, its the wrong pump. Feakin' idiots. New part on order.

August 1, 2002 Thursday

Parts came in, but "they were too busy"

August 2, 2002 Firday

Truck finally fixed. Nice try *****. :burn: And you will replace my filter again in 2k miles for the 45k mile service.

Sorry for the off-topic-ness, I had to vent. Its a shame they didn't make it easy for me. Because of that I can get all my flat tires reimberesed for a $25 fee (fine print on contract). I got a few and kept the tires and invoices for the bachelor pad. Good thing, they are coming in handy right now.

When I get my $$, I'm gonna cancel the warranty its a joke. Same thing with the paint protection (I have that too, claim still pending since 35k miles.). Its such a freakin' hassle to get anything done once you drive off the lot.

Last edited:

electricstorm

Established Member
Sounds like you just have a dealership full of pricks.
Luckily Cam Clark ford is really good, but that's only if Key West fails me - and they're REALLY good too!

crazy4ink

Extreme Ratchet Abuser
Established Member
the 2 dealerships here in town are fighting over who gets to work on my L, since there are no SVT authorized dealerships anywhere near close by.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
I use a non SVT dealer for my warranty repairs as they like working on it and dont give me grief about mods.

Sonic03

Alaskan Assasin
Established Member
Salesman called today and told her that it is not built yet...but should be soon, ETA...end of April. She is pretty excited, will be a good photo op with my '03 beside it.

Users who are viewing this thread