outlook import help

LT1FireChicken

Established Member
Im trying to import a PST file from an old outlook file. The amount of emails in the pst is so large that half of them are not showing up due to the limit preset by Admins on my Exchange server.

Anyone know how to bypass this and import the emails straight into the new personal folder/ pst file?

txyaloo

Established Member
Are you trying to copy the mail from the old PST directly to the server? It'd be easier to just attach the existing PST to your profile. Go to File>Open>Outlook Data File. Navigate to the PST and double click it. It should show up in the navigation pane on the left side below your existing PST.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
Are you trying to copy the mail from the old PST directly to the server? It'd be easier to just attach the existing PST to your profile. Go to File>Open>Outlook Data File. Navigate to the PST and double click it. It should show up in the navigation pane on the left side below your existing PST.

Agreed, unless I'm not understanding you correctly.

Why would you want to move archived emails back to the server? Also, how large is the .PST file?

homer302

Banned
I think we are missing something. I don't know why the exchange admin would care what size .pst you have. Maybe they want you to keep them on a network share so they get backed up (in which case they would care what size they are) but if you have it on your PC he really shouldn't care. The instructions above should have you on your way.
At the same time, you can't complain if your pst gets lost or destroyed because YOU are in control of it. Your hard drive goes and it might go too.

Last edited:

Guy Fawkes

Established Member
If I remember correctly there is a size, at which point a PST can become curropt and non readable.

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member
If I remember correctly there is a size, at which point a PST can become curropt and non readable.

2GB.. but agreeing with the others, I think we're not fully understanding exactly what the OP wants. I have an excuse though.. Gin. It would help if we knew what the "limit" was on the server. Lot's of server mail files are usually limited to 200mb or so from my experience.

Last edited:

txyaloo

Established Member
2GB.. but agreeing with the others, I think we're not fully understanding exactly what the OP wants. I have an excuse though.. Gin. It would help if we knew what the "limit" was on the server. Lot's of server mail files are usually limited to 200mb or so from my experience.

2gb is for the older PST format. My PST is over 6gb and has no problems.

Also, if it's being stored on a server, that's a big no no. Microsoft does not support that and data loss can occur much easier.

Juruense

Banned
Instead of importing them into your exchange mailbox which is size limited by admin, import them into your personal folders located on your hard drive.

Also, remember that you cannot directly open a PST that is located on a read only file system such as CDROM. Outlook will not allow it.

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member
New limit is 20GB I believe. We have office 07 here and have still had some issues. I'm not gonna lie, some of the image decisions they make around here are retarded as hell. I think it's hilarious that my custom image only goes on _._.O. computers and important visitors.

Users who are viewing this thread