OUTSTANDING SHIFTER IMPROVEMENT!

Annihil8or

Got Fever?
Established Member
Last week I put in the Blue Thunder shifter. As I drove the car afterwards there was a noticeable improvement in shifting and I noticed the sounds of the transmission etc. were about 50% louder than before.

I then read in our forums the posts of a few people that tried the MGW adjustable shift handle and so I decided to try one along with the T-Shift knob they offer.

I installed using their "noise suppression" rubber flange and set the handle with the maximum telescoped length. I twisted the top of the shift handle about 15 degrees from 12 o'clock. With T-Shift knob in place the noise is back down to stock noise levels or lower and most importantly the shifter now works like God designed it specifically for me.

Upshifts and downshifts are dramatically improved. Crisp, precise and positive. I now feel like I no longer have to be concerned about 3rd. I can shift on autopilot letting my subconscious do the work of shifting. I would say that this made as big, or bigger, a difference as changing from the stock shifter to the Blue Thunder. Highly recommended components.

Annihil8or

Jon

Relax, have a homebrew!
Established Member
I replaced the bent rod MGW provides with a straight rod and found that to be more comfortable, I could never get used to the dogleg in the Mustang shifters.

The MGW is a great mod., the OEM shifter (handle) sucks.

-my 2 cents

Annihil8or

Got Fever?
Established Member
Originally posted by Jon
I replaced the bent rod MGW provides with a straight rod and found that to be more comfortable, I could never get used to the dogleg in the Mustang shifters.

The MGW is a great mod., the OEM shifter (handle) sucks.

-my 2 cents

I hear you, shifter positioning in a car is as individualized as a custom suit. The beauty of the adjustable shift handle is that it can work for you and me both given our differing needs and physical characteristics. That's a cool way to get rid of the dogleg you didn't like.

The quieting of the aftermarket shifter was an added bonus and I would still be enthusiastic about these two items even if the noise level wasn't reduced. And this is coming from a big fan of your sound deadening mod. I plan on doing that mod very soon.

Point well taken. :beer:

Annihil8or

Jon

Relax, have a homebrew!
Established Member
Bang for buck I can't think of a better upgrade than the MGW shifter. To this date I have not heard of any critisms pertaining to price, design, or performance.

I keep waiting for those set screws to loosen up, but they have not in over 9000 miles!

I am very pleased with this product.

Annihil8or

Got Fever?
Established Member
Originally posted by Jon
Bang for buck I can't think of a better upgrade than the MGW shifter. To this date I have not heard of any critisms pertaining to price, design, or performance.

I keep waiting for those set screws to loosen up, but they have not in over 9000 miles!

I am very pleased with this product.

That's it in a nutshell. And you have put up another valuable piece of data regarding the set screws. When I installed the adustable handle I remember thinking, "how long before I am going to have to pull the cover and tighten them because they worked loose?"

I was especially concerned because of the T-Shift knob also having an even smaller set screw. I figured the smaller set screw would work loose first but so far it shows no signs of working
I can relax now that you have shared the info about the 9 months. Thanks for posting again Jon.

Annihil8or

REM-DOG

blue thunder shifter question

I installed my blue thunder about two months ago and had one concern. When I installed the shifter the stamed lettering on the base of the shifter was upside down. It has been eating at my liver for some time now... can the shifter be put in upside down. I thing the answer to this question is no, but thought I would get everyone else's read onit. Hope someone can ease my mind or let my dumb a$$ know I need to switch it around.

Annihil8or

Got Fever?
Established Member
Re: blue thunder shifter question

Originally posted by haoleboy
I installed my blue thunder about two months ago and had one concern. When I installed the shifter the stamed lettering on the base of the shifter was upside down. It has been eating at my liver for some time now... can the shifter be put in upside down. I thing the answer to this question is no, but thought I would get everyone else's read onit. Hope someone can ease my mind or let my dumb a$$ know I need to switch it around.

I just read in another thread that when the Steeda Triax is correctly installed the name is upside down when viewed from the driver's seat. Since the Triax and the Blue Thunder are identical except for the name, it stands to reason that yours is installed perfectly. I can't imagine that you could install it the other way anyhow.

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
As far as setscrews getting loose, a little Loctite 222 or 245 is good! 290 if you're after the fact, and don't want the thing to move...(290's pretty stout)

finally

Established Member
I switched to the MGW handle very soon after getting the car and it made a hell of a difference. I just switched to the Amazon Racing shifter (Kirban) with the MGW/Hurst T-handle setup. WOW!!! The car shifts like butter, extremely smooth. I can't believe I had the car for almost 10 months and didn't go to this setup sooner. I also use Redline in the trans.

Users who are viewing this thread