overheat from ?

Mach1steve

New SVT *****... sweet !
Established Member
I have posted this question before, but I'm now looking at this problem from a different angle.

When road course racing my 03 Cobra, after a few laps, it starts puking rad fluid out the rad cap. I put a new rad cap on, no difference.
Then after that, it happens all the time, and car overheats.

Into the Ford Dealer (car is under an extended warranty for another 3 yrs... sweet eh ?) and they say "Thermostat", and change it.
The next week, same thing, dealer changes Thermostat again, but can't figure out why it keeps going.

I talk with some other Cobra guys, who track their cars too, and they said almost unaimously to lower the coolant level in the tank by 2", so there is more "head space" for when it gets super hot. This does not work.

None of the Mustang shops I deal with have an answer, and certainly not the dealer.
I was starting to think I'd have to install a bigger rad or something, then a BMW guy says to me after I explain what's going on "you know you have a leaking head gasket don't you ?"... it was like a light went on !
Car runs 14psi boost.... overheat happens only after sustained boost racing (it's fine on the street).... so it may be blowing some compression through the head gasket, thus overpressuring the cooling system, and blowing it out the rad cap !

Is he crazy ?
Does this sound viable as to why I'm having this issue ?

In all your dealings with these mustang shops and troubleshooting on your own has your coolant been tested for combustion chamber gases to eliminate the possibility of a head gasket related problem?

Also are you running the oem plastic radiator expansion tank? If so, once ruling out a head gasket matter and insuring that the car is properly burped, you'd have to consider replacing that tank. Many times when the car overheats the opening of the tank deforms slightly. It may not detected by the naked eye but you'll have repeated sealing problems regardless of how many new radiator caps you put on there. The failure of these tanks and how expensive they are is the primary reason I opted to go with an aftermarket tank like the one Moroso makes.

And I would certainly expect to see some coolant pushing through the oem tank while OT the car because you consistently high temps. In many cases you are pushing temps above 240F for some sustained periods of time. That coolant is going to expand some.

Mach1steve

New SVT *****... sweet !
Established Member
follow up

Removed Crank pulley and put it back to stock set-up, changed stock upper pulley for 11 psi piece, Had my tuning shop re-tune with an SCT unit on the Dyno (it had an old Diablo chip in it), retarded the timing a bit for the track with a special tune, replaced OEM Intercooler pump with Ford Racing unit ..... still stock rad & intercooler... problems gone !

Raced all day on road course without any issues.
Intercooler pump was not working properly.

New tune gives me a safer 466 rwhp instead of previous 472 rwhp, so didn't lose much, and much easier on the engine (ie. ti'll last longer).

Things aren't always what they appear to be I guess.

Mach1steve

Users who are viewing this thread