Overheated

Pedalpower

Established Member
Long time reader and first time poster. I just had my radiator hose blow and overheated my car. It is leaking coolant into the two passenger side cylinders at a very heavy rate. I am guessing that I have warped the head as well as the head gasket. Has this happened to anyone else? I shut the car off and coasted as soon as I saw the temp gauge go to the red. Anyway, my queston is there any shop manuals out there so I can do this myself? Ford quoted me $1100 just for changing the gasket. I Do not have any experience with dual overhead cams but I am faily competent with a wrench. Another question, would it be easier just to get a crate motor and just swap the whole thing out? I guessing this would be a good time to do the clutch as well as I have 67k on the stock clutch. Any advice would be appreciated.

Pedalpower

Established Member
After I repaired the lower hose I could not get the car to start. After pulling the plugs, the two cylinders on the passenger side were filled with coolant. You can actually see the coolant go down in the tank while you crank the motor. I have not taken anything apart just yet, but ussually when a car overheats the head gaskets are the first thing to fail. I am not an expert though. Something has to be cracked or a gasket failing for coolant to be in the cylinders.

Primaris

Established Member
How to get the service manuals free via bit torrent.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=89093

I started a post here about downloading the service manual but no one responded. The link is to a post started after my original post, but has the info in it on how to get the downloaded files to work. Give the thread a read and then feel free to ask me any questions if you run into issues. I have used both the 2000-2004 Ford Service Manual DVD and the 2004-2005 Ford Service Manual DVD. The 2004-2005 has the SVTF info.

I hope you just lost a gasket and not cracked the head.

Users who are viewing this thread