Overheating, help!

SNMUSTANG

Established Member
Replaced my 04 Cobra radiator fluid with 28 degree reducer/straight distilled and intercooler fluid with 50/50 yellow. The radiator is now straight distilled.
The temp is fine at idle forever, just below the centerline. Once I get on the road and hit a little boost the needle climbs all the way to hot, usually about 5-10 mins after idle.
I've boiled the TS with a thrmo, it opens at 180. The dams are in place.
I'm concerned about my intercooler combo. My manual says yellow coolant, do they mean 50/50. I can't help but think my intercooler has something to do with my engine cooling. My brain says no.
Help!

SNMUSTANG

Established Member
Thank you JB,
I feel like a moron for having trouble with a cooling system. I've burped her, on ramps, but I'm gonna click your method.
DIO?

SNMUSTANG

Established Member
You were right

I burped it best I could.
Ran it on ramps for a good 20 minutes, lotsa bubbles and gurgling so I thought I was good to go. Took it for a spin and still overheating.
Dropped it off at Ford and they had it fixed within a couple of hours and told me I had "a significant amount of air in the coolant system". WTF?
Oh well, 100 bucks poorer but I'm back on the road.
Thanks for your input,
Scott

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
with cap on the overflow tank, fill the crossover tube. cap crossover tube.
with cap on the crossover tube, fill the overflow tank to the seam where the black plastic begins. there needs to be some air in the overflow tank as the system needs a way to build pressure in order to raise the boiling point of the antifreeze.

run car until thermostat opens. shut car off and let it cool. (NEVER OPEN A HOT COOLING SYSTEM - releasing the pressure on it will lower the boiling point. steam scalds.)

with the cap on the overflow tank, check the burp plug. if the tube has liquid in it, its fine. cap it and leave it alone until next time you open the cooling system.

if you have both the overflow tank uncapped and the cap off the crossover tube, since the overflow tank is lower than the crossover tube it will drain into the overflow tank. if the cap is on the crossover tube, it wont be able to suck air in.

only have one cap open at a time.

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
phillySVT said:
how long to burp? is over 45 min considered excessive?

The process described above by ShelbyGuy takes 10-15 mins, depending on how warm it is outside. You don't need ramps or anything as long as the car is on level ground.

jboss11

Established Member
My car was overheating starting this thursday. The car would start spewing coolant from the radiator cap. I ran a pressure test after getting a new cap from Ford this morning. ($7.70). Burped the system then took it for a drive and sure enough it over heated.

Popped the hood and looked at the 50amp fuse that runs the fan and it was blown. Put a new fuse in and the fan worked but made a horrible noise.

Went back to Ford and picked up a new fan and low and behold the old one was cracked. Put the new fan in and it runs fine now...no overheating.

Check the 50 amp fuse then your fan.

Hope this helps

Last edited:

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member
Just checked my fuse and it was blown....I think the fan is shot also. I'm gonna put a new fuse in to see how it runs.
-Mike

Kevin the Clean 1

1 CLEAN 04 SNAKE
Established Member
I just had a mess doing this coolant flushing too. I learned that getting air in the system is very easy & a common problem. If you do it right the first time things should go smoothly. Just always check the crosover tube to make sure its full...;-)

Users who are viewing this thread