Overheating

dsmith658

Where's all my money??
Established Member
I just got my new setup done and delivered to the tuner. I had 500 miles of highway and surface streets driving before turning it over to him. I did notice the temperatures were running just slightly higher than I was used to with my stock motor but nothing that really bothered me.

Tuner called today and said it was running hot on an extended vehicle simulation run, which is a long loaded session from what I understand. He told me toward the end of the run my coolant temps were in the 230 range, which was unusual. He thinks the fans are turning on, although he will double check tomorrow.

My question for you guys is I am not sure what to tell him other than make sure the fans are working. I burped the coolant myself and did the install myself and I am not sure what mistake I could have made to cause it to overheat. Any suggestions on things to check?

Thanks!

Bgoins

Established Member
Is it getting enough airflow through the radiator on the Dyno?
Stock radiator?
Even if the fans are cutting on, our cars are not designed to be stressed while stationary for an extended period, especially when it's making about double the horsepower it did from the factory.

Tx5.0

Established Member
Check the connection of the fans. Mine burned out one day and the cars temps rose up. I rewired the connection, taking out the connection plug and it worked just fine.

dsmith658

Where's all my money??
Established Member
It is the stock radiator. Since it was part throttle tuning I wasn't sure if it was a big deal or no. But I am worried since he said it was unusual

dsmith658

Where's all my money??
Established Member
Check the connection of the fans. Mine burned out one day and the cars temps rose up. I rewired the connection, taking out the connection plug and it worked just fine.
It seems like the connection plug is integrated with the shroud. But I will have another look.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member

Mine did the EXACT same thing about 2 weeks ago. Burnt the connector and the fan stopped working.

I cleaned off the terminals and added some dialectic grease and its fine now.

Tuner turns the fans on sooner and they run more causing the extra load.

What exactly did you do with yours?

Tx5.0

Established Member
I'm out the country and not with the car but IIRC. The plug that comes from the ecu (I think) that plugs I to the fan shroud, It was the ground that burned up on mine. So I grounded the connection on the fan shroud to the frame of the car and used a used wire terminals and a wire connecting the power wire from the ecu plug going to the fan. Doing that bypasses the original bad ground and allows the fan to function properly. I wrapped the both the ecu plug and fan connection with electrical tape and secured the ecu plug to a group of wires.

Last edited:

dsmith658

Where's all my money??
Established Member
I'm out the country and not with the car but IIRC. The plug that comes from the ecu (I think) that plugs I to the fan shroud, It was the ground that burned up on mine. So I grounded the connection on the fan shroud to the frame of the car and used a used wire terminals and a wire connecting the power wire from the ecu plug going to the fan. Doing that bypasses the original bad ground and allows the fan to function properly. I wrapped the both the ecu plug and fan connection with electrical tape and secured the ecu plug to a group of wires.
Just to close the loop it was my fan connector too. Thanks for the help!

Users who are viewing this thread