Overheating

cobra50

Established Member
My car overheated yesterday within 5 miles of work. I got up to 3000 rpm's and it started cutting out and then overheated. I pulled over and had smoke coming out of my hood. the coolant was hot as hell. Well once I cooled the motor off with water then I was able to get home, but every time I got up the 3000 rpm's it started again. I drove it this afternoon and it has not done it since. Does any one know what the problem could have been? Oh, i don't know if this could have had anything to do with it but I just had my car dyno tuned for max power on saturday.

firemanmike

FIREMANMIKE
Established Member
My 03 was overheating also. It ended up being a radiator cap that wouldn't hold the pressure. New cap fixed it right away.

MikeW

Established Member
Have any of you guys had to ass Intercooler fluid? Mine sits just above the Min Fill Line and I'm keeping an eye on it. I hope the intercoolers on the Cobras dont leak like the L's use to.

Any ideas?

PhillyCobra

Established Member
If it was just dyno tuned, I assume you have a new program or chip. I would be suspicious that the instructions for when to turn on the coolant fan are wrong. Otherwise, it's hard to imagine any connection unless the timing or A/F are so screwed up that you're overheating, which is pretty unlikely. Check to make the sure the fan is coming on when the engine heats up (I think stock is about 210 degrees).

BLUBYU2

Established Member
Mine did the same exact thing two weeks ago. Started getting warm and then the car started hesitating. Had it towed to the dealer new cap and new thermostat and no more problems as of yet.

cobra50

Established Member
I do have the fluidyne heat exchanger and I put the 160 thermastat in. Would running the ac have anything to do with it?

Question? I have pics of my car, how do I post them on this site?

PhillyCobra

Established Member
If you overheated to the point of losing coolant you really need to get it diagnosed rather than think of band aids. It would NOT have anything to do with heat exchanger or intercooler. It would be from primary cooling system and can be anything, ranging from the fans not going on to a pressure leak. Check the coolant level, fill it up, and get somebody to check it out. The computer goes into limp mode when the car overheats because you could destroy your $13,000 engine if it didn't!

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Best advise award so far....... goes to Philly(He's good!)
If you recently put in a new stat(160).... then there is a very real possibility, tha you may have had an air pocket ..... trapped in there during refill.... It's quite common...
And it is known to produce that symptom...
I would still check all the stuff Philly Cobra mentioned though..... you do not want to roast or detonate this engine...
Jimmy :thumbsup:

Ozarkhills SVT

Established Member
Same exact thing on mine, replaced the thermostat and it hasn't
happened again. Runs fine now.

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
How to properly burp your system. Thanks FuShnickens

CAUTION: Some vehicle cooling systems are filled with Motorcraft Premium Engine Coolant VC-4-A (in Oregon VC-5, in Canada CXC-10) or equivalent meeting Ford specification ESE-M97B44-A (green color). Others are filled with Motorcraft Premium Gold Engine Coolant VC-7-A (in Oregon VC-7-B) or equivalent meeting Ford specification WSS-M97B51-A1 (yellow color). Always fill the cooling system with the same coolant that is present in the system. Do not mix coolant types.

1. Check all hose clamps for correct tightness. Make sure the radiator drain**** is closed.
2. Place the heater temperature selector in maximum heat position.
3. Remove the pressure cap from the cooling system reservoir and the fill plug from the engine crossover tube.
4. CAUTION: Do not fill the cooling system through the reservoir only. Coolant will not enter the engine. Only the reservoir and the radiator will be filled and engine overheating will occur.
5. Add coolant into the fill neck on the engine crossover tube until coolant reaches the top of the fill neck on the cooling system reservoir.
6. Install the cooling system pressure cap on the reservoir.
7. Continue to fill the cooling system at the engine crossover fill neck until full.
8. Install the engine crossover tube fill plug.
9. CAUTION: If the engine temperature gauge does not move, coolant level is low in the engine and must be filled. Stop the engine, allow to cool, and fill the cooling system as outlined.
10. Run the engine until the thermostat opens (coolant flowing through the radiator lower hose becomes hot).
Stop the engine and allow to cool.
11. Add coolant to the engine crossover tube fill neck until the cooling system is full.
12. Install the fill plug.
13. Repeat the fill procedure if necessary.

Bleeding
1. Select the maximum heater temperature and blower motor speed settings. Position the control to discharge air at A/C vents in instrument panel (04320).
2. Start the engine and allow to idle. While engine is idling, feel for hot air at A/C vents.
3. CAUTION: If the air discharge remains cool and the engine coolant temperature gauge does not move, the engine coolant level is low and must be filled. Stop the engine, allow the engine to cool and fill cooling system.
Start the engine and allow it to idle until normal operating temperature is reached. Hot air should discharge from A/C vents. The engine coolant temperature gauge should maintain a stabilized reading in the middle of the NORMAL range. The upper radiator hose (8260) should feel hot to the touch.
4. Shut the engine off and allow the engine to cool.
5. Check the engine for coolant leaks.
6. Check the engine coolant level in the degas bottle/coolant expansion tank and fill as necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread