Overheating????

1badhd

08 JSB LS3 Vette
Established Member
Well guys quick question. When im sitting in traffic with the AC on truck starts to overheat? AC off no problem.? I have Efans and Cobra R waterpump. I searched but did not find much, any help will be great.

Taunto

Established Member
check the coolant strenth of ur coolant... then make sure e-fans are coming on at a resonable temp.... make sure u have no leaks or air in the system... if its still overheating... maybe try changing ur thermostat

1badhd

08 JSB LS3 Vette
Established Member
update: no leaks started the truck let it idle with ac on, 1) there is a click on the passenger side eng bay 2) E fan does not kick on 3) hissing noise from same location as the place that clicked

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
just wondering but have you checked your t-stat?
On my mustang she ran fine everywhere untill she came to a stop.
the t-stat was in 4 pieces

1badhd

08 JSB LS3 Vette
Established Member
just wondering but have you checked your t-stat?
On my mustang she ran fine everywhere untill she came to a stop.
the t-stat was in 4 pieces

How do i go about checking it just take it out? And where would the relay be? Fuse?

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
How do i go about checking it just take it out? And where would the relay be? Fuse?

just pull the t-stat housing and pull the t-stat and have a look. I forget what our stats are rated at...but i wanna say they are 185*. toss your stocker into a pot of boiling water with a thermometer and bring her to a boil and see what temp it opens. or if its in pieces or stuck open replace it.
as for the relay and fuse...dont ask i dont have e-fans

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
did your truck come with e fans or is it aftermarket? if they are after market just trace the wires from the fan to the relay its a lil 1"x1"x1" box with 4 wires. once you find it and wanna check it let me know and il tell you how. id tell you now but i cant remember which number does what.

1badhd

08 JSB LS3 Vette
Established Member
There are two little relays like that but one is hooked up to an on off switch. does this help/ sound right. Ill be back on tom if you think of something let me know.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
ok thats most likely aftermarket. bassically if it was done correctly the switch just connects a ground. pretty much it bypasses the coolant temp switch which is was gives a ground to the system at a certin temp. so your entire system has power all the time and/or while the ignition is on. HOWEVER!!!!! pay attention to this it might be backwards to where that swich gives power to the relay and/or the temp switch gives power. i say this b/c im not familure with the aftermarket e-fan setups on the HD and L trucks. a sure fire way to find out is to check for continuity between a ground and pin 86 on the relay connector (while the relay is unplugged)

FIRST check the temp sensor (find which one controls the fans)
just unhook the electrical connector and ground it... fans should come on. if there are 2 wires then just connect them together.

on the relay you will have 4 important numbers:
30- power FROM the battery
87- power TO the componet (e-fan)
86- ground
85- switched power (from a switch like a temp swithch)

like i said keep in mind that in your case you might have constant power to 85 and the temp switch might give the ground to turn the fan on so the ground will be going to the fans.. just check continuity between a good ground and the pin 86 on the relay connector to see which one you have.

if you do have continuity between 86 and a ground then do this:
get a jumper wire about 6" long and strip back about 1/2" on each end. plug one end into pin 30 on the relay connector and then touch pin 87 to see if the fans come on... if not then you have a bad motor OR no power to the 30 pin. if they do then you might have a bad relay or temp sensor

if you dont not have continuity use the jumper wire from above and strip off about 1" of the wire. stick about 1/4" of the stripped wire into pin 30 on the relay connectorand then plug in the relay ensuring that the realy pin and realy connector pin AND jumper wire are touching into the connector. once thats done touch the other end of the jumper to a ground and if the fans dont come on then you prolly have a bad relay or maby a bad fan motor?? this way is hard for me to explain for some reason.

NOTE!!!!!!!

im drunk so im sure im screwing something up so someone who had more knowledge than me tune in and proof read this. but im pretty sure its close enough to find the problem.

here is a pic

http://311s.org/Pics/relay.jpg

1badhd

08 JSB LS3 Vette
Established Member
holy smokes thats a good description thanks a bunch now its time to go truble shoot!

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
wow for being 1/2 retarded lastnight i typed that ok i guess :whine:

let me know if you have any issues, right now im sure i could explain in more detail.

GK_crewchief

Kenne Bell Boosted
Established Member
My JDM Electric Fan kit rocks! I will stock up on some 20-30amp relays though incase they decide to take a dump one day in the heat.

RedFox

Established Member
The Cobra pump was never designed for a vehicle with A/C.

Go back to the stock pump or Navi., you will get better flow.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
Ok just looked at it and there are two relays???????

ok ok, do you have 2 fans or one? if you have two fans you can have one relay perfan for hi and low. if you have one fan then one relay will be for high and one for low. this is the tricky part and im not even gonna explain it... lol sorry.

just check each on in those steps above and see what happens. you might need to turn the ignition to on for it to work right.

Users who are viewing this thread