Overheating

04COBRAinJapan

Established Member
Need help with this overheating problem. I pulled the thermostat and it was indeed broken. The copper shaft separated. No problem odered a replacement, installed and no workee. Car overheated again, seems like the new thermostat is not opening. Also, the heat did not work with the new thermostat in. I removed the thermostat and let the car run. No overheating and heat worked fine. Is my water pump bad? whats the possibility of another bad thermostat (highly unlikely) Im in Japan, so it takes about a week to get parts here from the states. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Did you refill the system through the crossover tube? Did you burp the system? The cooling systems in these cars are very finicky. You can't have air in the system.

Finaltheorem47

I'm a Lead Farmer
Established Member
did you put the thermostat in upside down?

You can verify the thermostat is broken by putting it in a pot of boiling water and watch to see if it opens up.

Other possibilities are a bad water pump or a system with a lot of air in it. If you are confident that the system is burped properly and that your thermostat is opening, I'd replace the pump.

Last edited:

04COBRAinJapan

Established Member
Im sure the stat is installed correctly. However, I did not service thru the crossover tube. where is it? Would air in the system cause this problem? It really seems like the stat is not opening because i can run the car with the cap off and it never burps.The water in the resevoir just sits there and begins to overflow once car gets warm. The fans are working fine.

Im sure the stat is installed correctly. However, I did not service thru the crossover tube. where is it? Would air in the system cause this problem? It really seems like the stat is not opening because i can run the car with the cap off and it never burps.The water in the resevoir just sits there and begins to overflow once car gets warm. The fans are working fine.

Its the black crossover tube with a square fitting. I believe its almost under the blower snout. It can take 2-3 days to purge the system of air based on how you do it. There are a few procedure write-ups that you can find with the search feature.

04COBRAinJapan

Established Member
Burped the system as reccomended and it did not overheat. I will check the fluid levels again today and top off as neccessary.
Here are thr procedures, thanks to 01COBRAVORTECH!

Ok first and foremost you need to refill the cooling system through the black crossover tube. Its almost under the blower and you have to use a 1/4 drive to open it. Refill through there and make sure the cap on the radiator reservoir is off when you refill. Once the level rises on the radiator tank to the add line, then you consider the system full.

Put the cap back on the radiator reservoir and keep filling through the crossover tube until the tube is full. Put the crossover tube back on and make it finger tight. Turn the car on and put the heat vents on to full blast. Let the car run for like 20 minutes, wtahcing the temp gauge to insure you aren't overheating. Shut the car down and reopen the crossover tube the next morning. Add coolant. until the crossover tube is full. DO NOT REMOVE THE CAP OFF THE RADIATOR EXPANSION TANK. Do another heat cycle and allow her to cool down till night time. Follow the same procedure. Its a b*tch to get the air out but following this procedures will have the car burped in 2-3 days.

Jefe

Established Member
Thanks to Suaveflooder® Raise the front end of the car. Worked on mine in less than 20 minutes, topped off in the morning through expansion tank and been fine in 105+ heat here 30 miles a day.

DNeinstadt

Established Member
Make sure you get a FORD THERMOSTAT. The part store ones don't work, I had a bad one right out of the box, had 240* temps, put my stock OEM one back in, didn't get above 204 all day long..

DNeinstadt

Established Member
If I didn't live in a cold climate I agree..

However it should be noted that the use of any low temp or drilled t-stat in a daily driven car in cold weather could result in lower than ideal oil temps. If you experience sustained temps below 170° using my or any modified or low temp t-stat then I recommend the use of the OEM thermostat during the colder months.

Users who are viewing this thread